Curled feet

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by cyndiscof, Jul 29, 2013.

1. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Chirping

Jul 6, 2013
    Hi. I'm Cyndi from Texas. I'm incubating guinea eggs and they unexpectedly started hatching early. I hadn't even raised the humidity yet. So, a couple of them needed help out of their eggs because they were too dry. They are doing well, except one was in the egg so long that his feet are curled like they were when he came out. Should I tape them or wait a while to see of they straighten out? Do you give keets vitamins in the water like chicks?
    Thanks for any advice. :)

2. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chirping

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    how long have they been out of their eggs? I heard to let them go for atleast 24 hours to see if their feet will be ok. I had one I swore was going to have curled feet,but by the next morning her feet straightened out and she was fine.

3. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Chirping

Jul 6, 2013
    Only been out 2 or 3 hours. I think I'll wait. Do you give them vitamins?

4. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chirping

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I would give them some time. Yeah, you should use vitamins in their water. Ive never hatched guineas, mine were chickens, but vitamins cant really do anything except help them :)

5. PinkFlamingoFrm

PinkFlamingoFrm Chirping

May 10, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    how are your chicks feet now?

6. cyndiscof

cyndiscof Chirping

Jul 6, 2013
    I taped them. One looks normal now. The other one still crooked. I'll tape it again. He keeps pulling tape off. He can run though! Thanks for the communication.

7. JLeigh

JLeigh Songster

Apr 19, 2012
    North Georgia
    If you use vitamins, use PolyViSol infant drops without iron. I don't know the dosage though. If you need to re-tape toes, use electrical wire. It comes off by itself in a few days. Let us know how they do!

8. plunk72

plunk72 In the Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    I put a roof shingle in my brooder box. There feet straightened up cause they could grip good.

9. sounds like you came up with a good idea there...

glad it worked! ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: