Curled toes and falls over

Scott16475

Songster
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro
One of our Black Austrolorps chicks developed curled toes recently (almost overnight) and now she falls over and can't right herself. We're constantly watching her and helping her up when she falls. We've also noticed just today that her other foot is now beginning to curl. My wife is in the process of making a chick sandal for both feet but we're not sure what to do in the long run. It pains us to see her fall over and struggle to get up and trust me, she can't do it on her own, and I'm afraid tonight while we're sleeping or tomorrow during the day when they're alone, she's going to fall over and there won't be anyone there to save her.

Looking over the message boards, I see that curled toes are somewhat common, but I don't see anything about a chick not being able to stand on that foot. Will the sandals help and cure this falling problem or does falling mean it's too late?

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Welcome to BYC. Are the toes curled into a claw, or curled to the side? Curling into a claw (also called curled toe paralysis,) and sitting on the hocks or elbows can be from a vitamin deficiency (usually from the parent stock) that manifests itself in the chick. The vitamin involved is B2 or riblflavin. Start on poultry vitamins in the water or infant PolyVisol without iron 3 drops by mouth daily. Or just give riboflavin by itself. The longer this goes on, it may become permanent. Here is a link to read: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

Last edited:
They're curling to the outside. Will the vitamins you mention above help with this or is that specific to curling into a claw?

PS: Thank you for the welcome. This is our first time with chickens and one of my kids is crying because she feels so bad for this little chick. Too be honest, I'm 6'4, 200 pound guy and I too, feel like a softie right now.

Back
Top Bottom