Curled toes/club foot?

TX Duck Mom

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
First time duckling mom. My approx. 1 week old Campbell duckling developed curled toes on one foot overnight. Fine last night, but curled foot this morning. It’s getting around by walking on its ‘ankle’. After reading threads here, I tried to straighten and tape, but it caused obvious pain. I couldn’t move its foot forward to a normal position. Could it have broken it’s foot overnight and now it’s already calcifying in the curled position? Due to its distress, I opted not to try any further to splint it. It doesn't seem to be bow-legged as niacin deficiency is described. It WAS slow to recover from shipping stress and was very weak the first 24 hours after delivery. Any other thoughts? Can it survive to adulthood like this?

Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your duckling - could you post a few pictures of its feet?

Do you notice any abnormities with the foot ( exp. swelling, redness, discoloration, fusion of the joints)?

64E63CB7-6085-4DAD-B723-85E5959CDCB9.jpeg
580ABFDE-1158-4C30-9B55-05FAD006F4A5.jpeg
2CC8C9E2-B185-4C4B-BE54-1CCAC9B5172D.jpeg
Welcome to BYC. Sorry to hear about your duckling - could you post a few pictures of its feet?

Do you notice any abnormities with the foot ( exp. swelling, redness, discoloration, fusion of the joints)?

Hello. Thanks for responding. I do feel the foot is fused in this position. I couldn’t straighten it even the morning I discovered it. Leaning towards an injury since all else is well and no others have issues. What can I expect for this little one’s future? Can it survive as an adult with a crippled leg? Thanks.

That's pretty weird, normally a foot issue like this is apparent a day or two after hatch when all your ducklings are running around then you spot the one with the bad foot. Its not something that just shows up in an older duck. Are you sure you didnt just miss it for the first week?

If it was born that way as normal it will have fused in that position and your duck is stuck that way. If it gets around ok now it probably will well enough in the future but might be prone to future issues. (Bumble ankle?)

That's pretty weird, normally a foot issue like this is apparent a day or two after hatch when all your ducklings are running around then you spot the one with the bad foot. Its not something that just shows up in an older duck. Are you sure you didnt just miss it for the first week?

If it was born that way as normal it will have fused in that position and your duck is stuck that way. If it gets around ok now it probably will well enough in the future but might be prone to future issues. (Bumble ankle?)
They’re only a week old approx. Shipped to me. Happened between 2nd and 3rd day I had them, so 3 days ago now? Makes me sad.

Back
Top Bottom