1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curled toes on Serama

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Helen in the Desert, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Helen in the Desert

Helen in the Desert Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    there is one toe that does not move, seems to be fixed in place. Do I force/break it and boot it? chick is one day old but had to be helped out of egg after 24 hours. The other two toes move ok though one is out of place also. Other foot has a very short back toe

thanks

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Yes, if it really won't move you may have to break it and splint it. (Try duck tape for splinting)

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I have had a few chickens with curled toes much worse than that, and they all did just fine. I personally wouldn't put the chick through that kind of pain for something that seems to be a primarily cosmetic issue.

4. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs
    It can't walk at all, so it is not just cosmetic, it is live or die. The way the toes are it can't balance and falls over. One of my worries is when it comes time to intro it to water (like, tonight) it will drown no matter how shallow the bowel/bottle cap/etc

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Interesting. I've had roosters with multiple curled toes each and they never had any balance problems. :/

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
  7. Helen in the Desert

Jul 27, 2011
    Palm Springs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by