Curled toes, Splayed legs on new hatches.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heymikey, Nov 30, 2009.

1. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    The search function doesn't seem to be working at the moment...it just stalls.

I have some early hatches and the toes and legs are splayed on a few of the chicks. I remember reading that you might can splint them?? Is this possible? I hate to cull them.

P.S. The temp on the bator was working fine till day 15 and then just went haywire, I got up one morning and the temp was 103!! I had a really hard time getting it steady after that.

2. lngrid

lngrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    What are you using for flooring in the brooder? Put down anything that will give them traction. I usually use the plastic/rubber shelf liner but if you're in a pinch, put down pine shavings, even straw - definitely not just newspaper or anything slippery. I've never been successfully able to fix toes, but if the legs are splayed, you'll need to splint those. You can use bandaids, adhesive tape, twist-ties etc. Wrap around both legs so they are at a natural spacing and leave in place for at least 24 hours if they are just hatched, longer if they are a little older. Put the food and water within reach and make sure they warm but not overheated by the heat source. I usually take the splint off within 24 hours and if it's still not right, put it back on for another 12-24 hours. The legs usually straighten out and they'll be fine with crooked toes. Good luck and hope this helps.

Edited to add: paper towels are good too but only if they are the thicker kind. I do put paper towels over the newspaper in a pinch.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If your chicks are hatching with leg issues then you have most likely got some humidity issues in your incubator. Humidity is too high.

You can try splinting them and making a foot brace with cardboard and band aids. You will be lucky if they are able to all be fixed with this method.

Did you keep records of your bator temps and humidity daily?

5. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    We have had some chicks hatch with horribly malformed legs. We suspect it is due to the eggs being overheated. We now try to collect the eggs as soon as they are laid so that they do not get overheated in the nest. As soon as the hen cackles, we are out there picking up the egg. We get it into the air condidtioning as soon as possible.

The last couple of hatches have been alright, but it has been cooler. We may be wrong about the overheating issue, but we will probably not try to hatch chicks in the summer again.

Rufus

6. heymikey

heymikey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Thanks All, I knew you guys could help. I'll give the BandAid trick a try. The temp stayed right at 99.5 for the first 15 days and then just went haywire. This is a wafer hovabator. It might be time for a new bator. It's worked well in the past.

7. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    I just fixed curled up feet using a tiny circle of stiff paper on the bottom of the foot, straighten out the foot perfectly, then tape down with medical tape. It worked faster than expected, straight pefect silkie toes in only about 2 or 3 days. Do this early! And of course spraddle is easily fixed taping the legs together with medical tape. One chick had BOTH problems, glad I didn't cull now because she's fine. Good Luck!

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:I think you are right... I feel my bator temp was a little too high when I had some chicks with feet and leg issues.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I was able to fix curled toes and crooked toes with the same method. It took 2 - 3 days, and they now look great!!

10. rufus

rufus Overrun With Chickens

May 17, 2007
    Quote:I think you are right... I feel my bator temp was a little too high when I had some chicks with feet and leg issues.

We have chicks peeping right now. This will be our third hatch since weather cooled off. Let's hope all the legs come out alright.

It is almost December, and we haven't had to put the heat on yet.

Rufus

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by