Curled toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calichicken, May 27, 2017.

1. calichicken

calichicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! I have a 5 week old bantam Cochin that has curled toes at the end. Doesn't seem to effect his walking, running ect. Is there anything I can do for him?[​IMG] 20170522_164939.jpg you can see it in this pic.
    Thanks for any advice

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I don't know much other then splinting them.
    I had a couple SS that lived long healthy lives with curled toes. I did have to trim the nails but they both scratched about and acted totally normal.
    Splinting them seemed to hurt so I left them be.

calichicken likes this.
  3. calichicken

Thank You! Good to know! it is not affecting his walking , running or movement so far! We are in love with this little guy...sweetest baby !

4. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    He is a cute little fellow.

Best wishes for a long happy life for him.

5. calichicken

Thank you!!!!

6. calichicken

Updated pic of my little too with curled toes. Still doesn't seem to be affecting his walking, running or perching so far! 20170530_163220.jpg

7. 21hens-incharge

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    His toes certainly are curled. :(

He has a big advantage though. He is a bantam so is less likely to suffer from weight on those feet.

I wouldn't breed him since I do not know if it is genetic.
    Keep a good watch for long nails as they won't wear down like straight toes would.

8. calichicken

Thanks! He is a pet so no breeding here Yes he will weigh around 2-3 pounds so a little guy! He can straighten them out when he stands up tall or stretches, but he walks with them curled. Looks like he will have regular pedicures...lol! He is such a sweet boy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by