curled toes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TNBowen, Aug 12, 2014.

1. TNBowen

TNBowen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    McMinnville, TN
    I have a couple hens that have toes bent completely in half on the side of their feet. What may have caused this? I don't recall them having this issue when they were chicks so is this some sort of deficiency or did they get broken and never healed?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. aquagolda

aquagolda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    New Jersey
    yea its broken you should take the chicken and put them in a sling until its healed

3. chippysmom327

chippysmom327 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2012
    Apollo, PA
    It could be a vitamin deficiency. Try supplimenting with Riboflavin (B2) and Vitamin E. They're known to help with joint health. If they don't seem to be causing pain I wouldn't worry too much about them.

4. osiel

osiel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2014
    Texas
    My neighbor had a hen with her feet that same way and he put her down because it is painful for them he said

5. Zoofee

Zoofee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Inwood, WV
    Do the chickens seem uncomfortable? I have had this happen with double breasted turkeys because they were so heavy.

6. birdlady79

birdlady79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    West Tennessee
    I have a 5 month old pullet with toes similar to yours... Jeffie's have always been like that .... Hers are not as curled as your hens but bent..it doesn't seem to bother her... I'm interested to see what may have caused it...

7. Smilin Teri

Smilin Teri Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2014
    I wanted to follow this to see if you find out what it is or what worked--- Hope it is not painful- Purdy gurls you have there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by