1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curly feathers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crookedlogranch, Dec 9, 2008.

1. crookedlogranch

crookedlogranch New Egg

Dec 9, 2008
    Hi all!
    I am new to chickens and figured someone here might know about this. One of my girls, a 3 month old Buff Orphington has feathers that are not smooth and laid down like all the others. They start flat, but then all curl up at the ends. She has been like this for about 3-4 weeks??. I have treated everyone for mites thinking that might be the problem. She seems very healthy, eats, drinks and is just as active as the others. She is not getting picked on and does not pick at herself. Any clues? I am going to try and post a pic, but...........it's not looking good so far [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance!!!!!!!

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    This is one of my frizzle babies......could yours be a frizzle??

[​IMG]

3. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

If you have treated for mites and have checked it over, look at the base of the feather for crawly things, then I would also agree that it is either a frizzle or frizzle mix. Post a pic when you can.

4. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Your baby is TOO CUTE!!!I LOVE my frizzles....[​IMG]

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] Great place for socializing and learning.

Cindy

6. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] to you too....

Have a great day!!! Cindy

7. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I bet its a Frizzle!

8. crookedlogranch

crookedlogranch New Egg

Dec 9, 2008
    WOW! Thanks for the quick responses! I love this msg board...there is so much great information, especially for a newbe. I ADORE that Frizzle baby and hope that is what I have [​IMG] Mine was not curly at that age though and is not as curly now. She will be 3 months on the 14th. I think I have the picture thing down...... check her out. She has her head down in the 'huddle' but is really quite active. OH, I did check the base of the feathers with a magnafying (sp) glass and saw nothing. Her skin looks like the other ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I've never seen a frizzle chickie, that's pretty interesting. Thanks for the pics.

10. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

YEP, I would say frizzle, she is just a late bloomer...Here's mine! Is the black one behind her in the first picture a little like that too. Looks like her feathers flip a little

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by