curly toes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chicken wild 98, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Chicken wild 98

Chicken wild 98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    one of my chicks has been on the ground all day i looked at its toes and they are curly how do i fix this [​IMG]

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    How old is the chick?

At day old chicks can sometimes have curly toes from improper incubator temperature. This can be helped by putting a band-aid over the foot with the toes in the correct position. (There would be a how-to somewhere I'm sure.)

I've had birds with incubator toes into their adult lives without issues; unless the toes are incredibly curly it doesn't seem to worry them.

If it's happening later, it can be something else (e.g. vitamin D deficiency causing inability to absorb calcium, i.e. rickets). That's a different scenario requiring sunlight, vitamins, etc.

Best of luck with it,
    Erica

3. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I just had one hatch under a broody that has curly toes and cannot walk. I have taped it's little toes to pieces of cardboard to try and straighten them out, as well as giving it poly-visol vitamins, in case it is the result of a vitamin deficiency. Does anyone know how long I need to leave the little 'shoes' on?

4. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I left mine on 2-3 days.

5. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Great - thanks. I'm hoping to put it - and the friend I took to keep it company - back in with Mama. We'll see how she reacts. I had to take it out after I put the shoes on, as the Mama hen kept trying to peck off the shoes, and in the process the chick was getting slung around like a rag doll.
    Did you see the picture of the 'shoes', Chicken wild 98? I think you will find it if you type "curled toes" into the search box. Here are mine:

[​IMG]

They are pieces of cardboard with medical tape wrapped around the foot and the cardboard, with the feet flattened out as much as possible.

6. Chicken wild 98

Chicken wild 98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    thank you guys
    the chicks are walking and running now [​IMG]

7. chics in the sun

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Oh good!! I will take the shoes off mine tomorrow and see if it can walk and run yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by