Current Coop/Run

Morgan7782

Dense Egg Goo
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Sacramento CA
Here are a few pictures of my coop and part of the run. I am standing in the middle, and it is able to be devided into two runs. The coop has a roof now, but the weather was nice when I took these pictures so it hadn't been totally finished. It's raised off the platform plywood to keep rain from touching the bottom. It's been through a few heavy rains/hails and did fine. We fastened a tarp to the top of the run fencing, and it kept most of the area dry. My backyard is also very protected from elements such as wind, and heavy heavy rain. We have a ton of trees, and high fencing that keeps drafts down where I have the run and coop.

If anybody has any suggestions on how I can EXPAND this makeshift coop, please do speak up
smile.png

I would like to add a section that can allow it to fit 3-5 standard hens. Right now it's 8 square feet, so it only fits the two girls I have. But I would like to get more. They will only be locked in the coop at night, during the day they will have a large run, and free range throughout the day in our backyard.

Chicks6weeksold032-1.jpg

Chicks6weeksold031.jpg

(The girls LOVING the new home)

MunkandJoon043.jpg

MunkandJoon025.jpg

MunkandJoon037.jpg

Joon especially loves sunning herself on her lovely wraparound deck. LOL
Chicks6weeksold035.jpg

Chicks6weeksold036.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! The only problem is how I can add to it, if at all. I loved the idea of having the wire base just for added predetor protection. I have also come to learn hardware cloth is MY FRIEND! lol, except when it attacks me with the sharp edges...

Joon is so funny, she got up and switched sides a moment after that picture was taken. Munk can't even fit up there! LoL and I thought Barred Rocks were supposed to be bigger then Easter Eggers haha

Because of the form of the dog kennel/crate, I don't think you're going to be able to simply expand for your housing. Do you guys get winters in Sacramento?? I'm California ignorant, other than the southern part. But, definitely grab that plywood base to reuse when you start building the bigger coop housing. I guess I was hoping you guys didn't get winters, because an open air type of coop looks cheaper to build than a totally enclosed coop... Good luck, and keep your eyes open for those bargains! (oh...and cute chicks there!
smile.png
)

Yeah I figured it would be real hard to add because of the mechanics of it. Our winters here in Sacramento are rain, but not heavy rain. Never snows, or really get's below 38 degrees lol. Maybe one or two nights will be around 30 degrees but that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom