current pictures of coop; need help fixing it up

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tracyree, May 10, 2011.

1. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    This is my coop that my husband built about 10 8 years ago. It's been chicken free about 5-6 years. Need to get it fixed up quickly as I suddenly have the itch for chickens again (my little ones are old enough now to enjoy them and allow me a little time for chickens again)

So the inside used to have styrofoam insulation and plywood interior walls. We ripped that out as it was a haven for mice. The mice drove us to give up chickens in the first place.

Do I need to do something as far as adding interior walls? I mean, will the cracks make the coop too cold in the winter? (We are in Tennessee) I was thinking we could add something between the studs, right up against the exterior boards, leaving no gap for mice. Is this neccessary? Desireable? Maybe it's just good ventilations? [​IMG][​IMG]

What I'm planning:

roosts
    nest boxes
    replace chicken wire with hardware cloth
    paint interior
    put some sort of solid floor in interior

The interior is 4x8, pen is 8x10

Any other/better ideas are very much appreciated!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  2. KYChixMama

KYChixMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Quote:First off, that is a gorgeous coop! Very nice looking. Second, I would add plywood right up against the exterior boards on the inside, there's no need for insulation where you live and this should leave no room for mice.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    I was thinking the same thing - just some plywood slapped over that and the draft problem will be gone and it will be weather tight. How exciting at the prospect of having chicks/chickens again. Good luck! Post any progress so we can see how you bring your coop back to life! [​IMG]

4. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Thanks!! Sounds like a good plan, wish I'd have done it that way in the first place!

We're going to repaint the exterior to, going to match our current house. Green with brown accents.

5. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:First off, that is a gorgeous coop! Very nice looking. Second, I would add plywood right up against the exterior boards on the inside, there's no need for insulation where you live and this should leave no room for mice.

x2

6. whitehousechix

whitehousechix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Oregon
    agreed, beautiful coop

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    nice coop. i think if you can put plywood up to cover the cracks and seal it. i like the deck look.
    [​IMG]

8. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Well, everyone else has already suggested; shoot, they even beat me to "nice coop!"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by