current pictures of coop; need help fixing it up

Tracyree

Songster
12 Years
May 6, 2011
This is my coop that my husband built about 10 8 years ago. It's been chicken free about 5-6 years. Need to get it fixed up quickly as I suddenly have the itch for chickens again (my little ones are old enough now to enjoy them and allow me a little time for chickens again)

So the inside used to have styrofoam insulation and plywood interior walls. We ripped that out as it was a haven for mice. The mice drove us to give up chickens in the first place.

Do I need to do something as far as adding interior walls? I mean, will the cracks make the coop too cold in the winter? (We are in Tennessee) I was thinking we could add something between the studs, right up against the exterior boards, leaving no gap for mice. Is this neccessary? Desireable? Maybe it's just good ventilations?
hmm.png
tongue.png

What I'm planning:

roosts
nest boxes
replace chicken wire with hardware cloth
paint interior
put some sort of solid floor in interior

The interior is 4x8, pen is 8x10

Any other/better ideas are very much appreciated!!!

5707879575_4d31c34d19.jpg

5707876437_9dd8e20452.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
First off, that is a gorgeous coop! Very nice looking. Second, I would add plywood right up against the exterior boards on the inside, there's no need for insulation where you live and this should leave no room for mice.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing - just some plywood slapped over that and the draft problem will be gone and it will be weather tight. How exciting at the prospect of having chicks/chickens again. Good luck! Post any progress so we can see how you bring your coop back to life!
pop.gif

Thanks!! Sounds like a good plan, wish I'd have done it that way in the first place!

We're going to repaint the exterior to, going to match our current house. Green with brown accents.

Quote:
First off, that is a gorgeous coop! Very nice looking. Second, I would add plywood right up against the exterior boards on the inside, there's no need for insulation where you live and this should leave no room for mice.

x2

Back
Top Bottom