current price of eggs!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redneckgirl, Jan 1, 2009.

1. redneckgirl

redneckgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    haha sooooo I was wondering... what your local current price for (storebought) eggs at local stores near you... ?
    I haven't bought eggs in SUCH a long time... My Farm fresh are so much better! [​IMG] I want to start selling eggs again.. I used to sell mine for 2.50 a dozen, so another question what have you guys been selling them for?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    Our local stores sale prices are $1.69 ~ $1.89. We sell to the neighbors for $2.00, as long as they keep returning cartons to us. I'm sure we could ask more, but it makes it a bargain and nobody complains about the roosters this way. We manage to buy all their feed and a bag of dog food each month out of the proceeds.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:2.18$ for 18 at Wamart

4. A.J.'s

A.J.'s Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Tennessee
    Our Wal-Mart had eggs this week that averaged out to 10 centes each. Mine go for 15 cents each.. of course I sell them by the dozen. In fact I sell them by the "two dozen". I get 3 dollars for 2 dozen. I do not sell less than 2 dozen. Just makes it easier for me and no one complains.
    I have just recently started selling my eggs. I put up a sign in my front yard, ( I live on a busy highway) and got NOT ONE stop. So one day with 15 dozen in my car, I started to town and stopped at houses that had a car at home or looked as if someone was home. I sold the eggs in less than five miles. And we are sparsely populated.....
    I was so in experienced that I did not put my phone number on the cartons and had to make that venture two times. This time the customers asked for my number. Now I have to take orders, and reserve eggs for my original customers. I only get a dozen a day and I could seel 10 dozen if I had them.
    And meeting the people. I found myself going to the newest homes where the people have retired to the "country". hahahaha
    I have made so many new friends and it has enriched my life several times over. and too even tho the eggs had accumulated and had been in the refrigerator a while, now I sell them almost as fast as they are laid.
    One fellow, yesterday commented as he picked out the eggs he wanted. "this one is warm" Why".. I laughed and told him it had just been laid. He was tickled over that.
    I do wish I had 10 times the chickens .. I love this. I love my eggs and I love my chickens. I love meeting the new people in our area.
    Ive found that they are the best candidates. The old timers somehow dont want to buy eggs from a home seller. I get the feeling they want me to give them away.
    I figure if I came out even on my eggs.. I would have to get at least 5 dollars a dozen. I cant understand how anyone can buy feed, electricity, water, housing, treats, lets not even mention labor and come out ahead.
    I find myself again with 8 roosters. Ive always given them away, but this time I dont want to do that. what do others do with their roos?

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    A.J.'s :

Our Wal-Mart had eggs this week that averaged out to 10 centes each. Mine go for 15 cents each.. of course I sell them by the dozen. In fact I sell them by the "two dozen". I get 3 dollars for 2 dozen. I do not sell less than 2 dozen. Just makes it easier for me and no one complains.
    I have just recently started selling my eggs. I put up a sign in my front yard, ( I live on a busy highway) and got NOT ONE stop. So one day with 15 dozen in my car, I started to town and stopped at houses that had a car at home or looked as if someone was home. I sold the eggs in less than five miles. And we are sparsely populated.....
    I was so in experienced that I did not put my phone number on the cartons and had to make that venture two times. This time the customers asked for my number. Now I have to take orders, and reserve eggs for my original customers. I only get a dozen a day and I could seel 10 dozen if I had them.
    And meeting the people. I found myself going to the newest homes where the people have retired to the "country". hahahaha
    I have made so many new friends and it has enriched my life several times over. and too even tho the eggs had accumulated and had been in the refrigerator a while, now I sell them almost as fast as they are laid.
    One fellow, yesterday commented as he picked out the eggs he wanted. "this one is warm" Why".. I laughed and told him it had just been laid. He was tickled over that.
    I do wish I had 10 times the chickens .. I love this. I love my eggs and I love my chickens. I love meeting the new people in our area.
    Ive found that they are the best candidates. The old timers somehow dont want to buy eggs from a home seller. I get the feeling they want me to give them away.
    I figure if I came out even on my eggs.. I would have to get at least 5 dollars a dozen. I cant understand how anyone can buy feed, electricity, water, housing, treats, lets not even mention labor and come out ahead.
    I find myself again with 8 roosters. Ive always given them away, but this time I dont want to do that. what do others do with their roos?

I am stuck in the same boat with a grand total of 39 chickens out of those 39 chickens some are still babies but the rooster total is 15 possibly 16 roos. You can't give them away this time of year. In the spring we have a local animal swap aka critter exchange, We try to sell them there but most of the time we end up giving them away at the last minute. Last year i had 2 gorgeous, super friendly roosters to sell and this man came up to me and asked me how much (looking at him hanging 10 chickens by their legs 5 in each hand) i said $10 each knowing he would walk away. He tried to barter and give me $5 each but they were super sweet bantam cochins one was definately show quality and all he was gonna do was take em home and eat them so i told him nope $10 each! I ended up giving the SQ roo to a nice breeder who was sooo thrilled to have him and the other roo went to a nice asian family as a pet. I hate to give away pretty hand raised roosters especially considering how much feed you spend on growing them up nice but sometimes its the only way. As of now i got wayyy too many roosters that im now stuck with until spring. My garage turned into a coop as well as the office in the basement. sorry to get OT back to the original question, I have seen farm fresh eggs sold for 2-$3 a dozen here comparible to grocery store prices.​

6. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I have been warning my folks that it was going to jump to 2.00 a dozen. So Wed I had a guy come up to me and ask for a dozen, and he said "two dollars, right?"

Quality counts.

Cheri

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I saw $1.79/dozen at the Mexican grocery store the other day. They are usually the cheapest. $2 for farm fresh vs $1.79 for mystery eggs? LOL You guys need to raise your prices.

8. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Egglunds are $3.89 a dozen at the Meijer stores in Michigan. And to think that a woman I know balked at paying my kid $5 for two dozen - delivered!

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i could ( used to before started putting ALL in bator) get $3 a dozen,, with people standing in line for them,, we had a dude stop by the other night at 7:30 pm to see if i would sell him some,, he offered $5 for a dozen [​IMG]
    i told him i get $3 a chick from them eggs,, thats $36 a dozen,,, hahaha [​IMG]

10. francisfarms

francisfarms Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2008
    I get three dollars a dozen, they quit laying right now due to the weather being so nasty, but I expect they will pick by the end of the month. I have already notice the sun not setting so early [​IMG] I can take in 10 dozen a day to work and they would be gone in nano seconds. I sell my duck eggs for 5 dollars a piece without a hitch either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by