1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Currently Hatching

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ShangoBunny, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ShangoBunny

ShangoBunny Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Virginia, USA
    I have 14 eggs (mixed variety of Jumbo, Italian, Japanese, and A&M), in the past two hours two eggs have hatched and one has pipped. It's day 16 in the incubator.

I'm wondering how long it should take once the first egg hatches.

Also at what point do I move the chicks from the incubator to the brooder?

2. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Congratulations. The longest I would suggest is 24 hours. However, if your brooder is a stable 95 degrees anytime would work.

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Move them once they have dried off, or almost. Their cheeping hurries the other chicks along sometimes and don't worry if they knock other eggs about - the other eggs will be fine. They start looking for food pretty quick so don't leave them in there for days like you can with chicken chicks. It could take a couple of days for everyone who is going to hatch to hatch depending on if there are cooler spots in your incubator. Every hatch is different. Good luck.

4. ShangoBunny

ShangoBunny Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks! The two hatched quail fluffed up and started trotting around pooping. So I moved them to the brooder. They are pretty happy there. It's amazing how loud they are for such tiny little chicks. :)

5. ShangoBunny

ShangoBunny Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Virginia, USA
    So far we have three hatched and one more pipping away this morning.

[​IMG]

6. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    They are such adorable little things!

7. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    don't you just love them.

1 person likes this.
  8. ShangoBunny

ShangoBunny Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Virginia, USA
    Nothing all day! A couple wobbling eggs in the incubator so hopefully we'll get some more tomorrow. I don't think I've been this stressed and excited since I had my own kids. LOL

9. HarleynShelby

HarleynShelby New Egg

Apr 28, 2017
    Springville UT
    We would like to buy some baby chicks for are farm we live in Springville UT where can I find them?

10. ShangoBunny

ShangoBunny Just Hatched

Apr 3, 2017
    Virginia, USA
    I got these from a place in California. I had a terrible hatch rate. Only the three out of 15 eggs, but I have a cheap incubator and had a terrible time keeping the temp right. Just bought a better incubator and am keeping them in a more temp friendly place. Ordered more eggs from the same guy. Hoping for a better hatch rate this time!!

The name of the guy is alemushinski0 on ebay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by