Currently having the worst hatch ever. A lot of wisdom and advice needed.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by guinea fowl galore, Oct 15, 2012.

1. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Ok, well the eggs I am hatching are Australorps (as always) and are now on day 22. During candling most of them looked great but a couple didn't seem to be developing at the same rate which I thought was weird seeing as they were in a fan forced Hovabator incubator, shouldn't be any hot and/or cold spots.
    I switched them to my hatcher incubator on day 19. Candling showed 2-3 had piped into the air cell. Day 20 morning there were 2 pips, that night I had to put another egg in so quickly held the torch over some eggs about 4 had piped into the air cell. Day 21 late that night one hatched but only zipped about a third and just pushed until the shell broke, unsurprisingly it couldn't get out so I pulled the top off for it. While I had the incubator lid levered up I quickly held a torch over the other eggs to see what was happening, at least 9 had piped into the air cell and were moving. This morning, day 22 NOTHING. the other piped egg still hasn't hatched yet either, it's been over 48 hours.

So from whoever is reading this experience is this hatch doomed?
    What caused this? I have a Hovabator with an auto turner.
    Another strange is that the chick the did hatch also has a deformity, on the bend of it's wing there is a tiny toe on both sides. It also had a fair bit of blood in the egg and on it's abdomen after hatching. Is genetics the cause for the bad hatch? I have hatch lots and lot of chicks with the same rooster with the same hen and they turned out fine. My last hatch though was a bit strange too, the chicks all hatched over two days even though they were put in the incubator at the same time, which made me think it was the incubator.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am typing this on my phone so all pronunciation and spelling has gone out the window. I'll fix it up when I get on a computer later.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    When did you last calibrate the thermometer and hygrometer? My first guess would be temperature issues.

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    I calibrate the hydrometer before every hatch but don't know how to with a thermometer. I was thinking temperature and have planned to go out and buy about four thermometers today :p
    I have started helping the chick out and it seems to be malpasitioned. It started bleeding lighting after I'd taken the top off and was working down a little. Strange it would still have veins after 50+ hours. It's pushing and wriggling around now though so hopefully that will help the veins go away. The last chick that hatched had heaps of bloo after it hatched so that might have something to do with incorrect temperature too.
    I shall keep updating.

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yeah, calibrating thermometers is a bit more problematic. Rather than getting a bunch, and then having them all read differently and then not knowing which is correct, I would get just one that you can trust. My first hatch, I had 5 thermometers in the incubator and every one of them read differently. After that I went to the store and found an analog that the retailer was selling for $1. They had about 20 of them and 3/4 of them read the same temperature so by the law of probability, I guessed that those were accurate and the others less so. I bought one of the accurate thermometers, and then set it on my house thermostat for a few hours. It read the same as that, so I decided it must be pretty accurate and now I use just that one thermometer. My last few hatches have been in the 90-100% range, since switching to the one cheap - but accurate - thermometer.

5. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I read you can calibrate any thermometer by filling a cup 3/4s full of CRUSHED ice, add about 1/2 c of water and stir for about 30 seconds. Then put the thermometer bulb or sensor into the ice/water. Be sure it doesn't touch the sides or bottom of the cup. It should read 32degrees when it's finished changing. May take a minute or two.

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Late and slow hatches I believe is because of low temps + or - a day, for every degree off. I have also read that deformities can be because of improper incubating temperatures and humidity levels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by