Cursing Debby anyone else?

kizanne

Songster
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Oh we need the rain here in florida and a tropical depression is nothing generally. But......

I'm in the middle of a hatch. Specifically I had one hatch out looking bad but 2 hours later still breathing the shell on half. Kept checking in on him. He as breathing (sure he's stop cause when he was born he dragged / pushed his egg around which broke off the yoke he is supposed to absorb. There were veins still connected to him and his shell and he had stuff hanging out his but that appeared to be stuck to the shell. Well after about 3 hours I realized he is still alive and he's stuck to the grate. he never fluffed all his sticky stuff glue him down. So I gently took a straw through the vent hole and wet his side and got him unstuck moved him over on top the thermometer which has a wide clear piece of plastic better than grate. A few hours later he's still breathing but no progress on rear protrusion, egg stuck and not standing. Now he's stuck to the plastic. So I take him out for an emergency wetting, warming the water, preparing a heat lamp to work under gathering tools and a small bowl of warm water temp 97 degrees. I soak his rear to try to help loosen the shell. I'm brushing him with a toothbrush to get the yolk out of his feather. All the while he's now squiggling more than a dang baby in the bath. And of course you aren't suppose to get water anywhere near the head. So I finally after multiple cups of water being poured on the rear end get the shell to stop stickin but there is a thread (I think an unabsorbed vein holding in some poop and still attached to the last bit of shell. I take a deep breath because I've decided I need to cut it. I get the scissors.......AND THE POWER GOES OUT!!!!!

Now in addition to super glue (my chicks name) I have 7 or 8 chicks in the hatcher and about 22 more eggs many of which are pipped or in some form of hatching. a second or two passes. Power comes on. Thank you GOD as you are great and I don't take the small things for granted. 10 seconds later power is out again. Super glue is wet the power is out, the heat lamp is out, he's wet and I haven't cut yet. Get hubby to shine his Iphone on him, make the cut and say, time to put him back in the bator. So hubby grabs the lid and lifts. NOOOOOOOOOO. I have an LG and when I need to and only when I have to I go in the bator during lock down from one of the top windows minimizing heat and humidity loss.

So one harrowing ride later, we live on a very hilly, curvy road and eggs roll into chicks that don't know to move LOL, I'm at the Fairfield Inn which has a back up generator. I only grabbed an extra shirt both my bators and my computer. So hubby won't be kissing me in the morning.

Curse you Debby in the strongest possible alternate characters &*^%$^*()*%$ which ever one is a strong curse.

Anyone else have Debby stories?

WOW SO sorry all that happened. No Debby story here. I just came to see what Debby was since I hadn't clue. I live in a small midwest town. We get tornadoes. UGH so I know what you mean. Hope you little peeps are all ok.
thumbsup.gif

WOW SO sorry all that happened. No Debby story here. I just came to see what Debby was since I hadn't clue. I live in a small midwest town. We get tornadoes. UGH so I know what you mean. Hope you little peeps are all ok.
thumbsup.gif

Oh I just had a shudder. If I lived there my incubator would have to be in the basement because you don't get lots of warning.

I have 11 healthy, 1 working on being healthy, 1 looks like she'll definately come out soon. That leaves16 more that are iffy but I still have hope cause I'm just now at 21 days since I set at night on Sunday 3 weeks ago.

Surprised but glad to see Debby isn't wreaking havoc with anyone else's hatch. I ended up with about 50% hatch rate from those that were deemed fertile (ever started development). I guess that is ok but I would have had much higher as I had several that quit and/or got shrink wrapped right there at the end. We are expecting 3 days of this. We usually don't lose power with this kind of small wind and rain but ....

Our last ones hatched Sunday. this was a staggered hatch with only 2 expected on July 1st the rest came on the the 25th. WE got 10/15 but lost the smallest one today. one the aussie has a crippled leg and the other leg has curled toes. Worked and worked but cant do anything for the leg. i now have the toes taped so we will see.

Back
Top Bottom