1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Curved Beak ***PICS ADDED*** Beak Trimming????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CK Chickadilly, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    My 8 wk. old Silkie baby has a very curved beak. It is the top one & it is perfectly shaped pointing right down to the ground, if that makes sense. I haven't got pics yet but probably should post them.

She does eat well but has a more difficult time then a normal beak.

Seems like I read somewhere & can't find it....that you can trim it? What do I use? & how do I do it without scaring the poor thing to death?

After I trim will it stay trimmed forever?

Thanks for any help! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a little that had a beak just like you are describing. Even though I trimmed it and helped him eat, he still died. I tried everything.

3. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:That's to bad. Must be he had some other troubles? This little one loves to eat! & she seems really healthy & as big as the other 8 week old Silkies.

4. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Here is what her beak looks like & what can I do to trim it?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Am I correct in saying she is a "splash" ??

5. Gallus_domesticus

Gallus_domesticus Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2008
    Arizona
    Don't have any experience with this, but looks like you could trim with dog toenail clippers?

6. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Gosh, I posted about this too. Be very careful about trimming, if you do decide. It can be painful if you cut too much and bleeds alot, so I have read. I chose to just leave mine because I am a ninny and she is eating fine and doing great. But I do wish I could find help with trimming to alleviate some of the crossed beak.

Good luck!

7. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

There must be an experienced poultry owner near you, possibly a BYC member, who could help you with this- perhaps even do the trim...worth learning how to do it right!

8. CK Chickadilly

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I just checked out the website you sent me...thanks!

In looking at her pic, it almost looks like you can see the quick in the chickies beak.

No one around here that I know of that trims beaks. Will have to check it out from some acquaintances.

Thanks for the info!

9. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    I have an 8 week old silkie with a crossed beak. I used large human nail clippers when he was younger to just take the tip off his beak.

Last week I took him in to my vet who sees birds, and we used a dremel tool to trim his upper and lower beak. It has helped tremendously! He doesn't even look like he has a crossed beak anymore.

You do have to be very careful. Their beaks are still somewhat soft at
    this age and do bleed very easily.

10. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    You can indeed trim it, but since I had never done this I took two of mine to my Avian vet to see how he did it. He pulled out what looked like a dremmel, turned it on, and BZZP-BZZP - - done in two seconds. He even rounded it off at the tip.

One thing he did tell me, though, was to be sure to hold the beak CLOSED when doing this, so you don't accidentally file the tongue. He placed his hand over the head, with thumb and index fingers facing forward, holding the beak closed. The birds were held so they backed up into him as they tried to escape.

And then ~

$30 bucks, please. Oh, and 45 more for the "exotics" office visit fee. Nice!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by