Curved breast bone? Do I have to cull my deformed chick????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oesdog, Sep 13, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I took little Omlet to the vet today because she has once again started to fall over. I had given her vitamins etc and thought it was that but she hasnlt gotten better. I thought she had cocci ???? But she didn;t have blood in her poo it was just really runny.

In short the vet said basically she is a cull. Well those of you who have followed my story with Omlet will know the deep, Painful, long and financially crippling!!!! Journey this little life has taken. It is awful to think all that will be for nothing??????? The Vet said her breast bone is growing curved which means her legs are being thrown off ballance and so eventually she will not be able to get up! I mean she was running round fine up until Friday?????????? So I just want to know if anyone else has had a chick with the problem or even heard of it and what the longterm prognosis was/is.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have a hen that was half blind as a chick and is now almost totally blind, as far as we can tell. She required lots of extra care as a chick - one on one feedings, finding her when she'd get seperated from the flock, etc. She is now a full grown hen and does just fine as part of my free range flock.
    I want to wish you good luck with yours. [​IMG]

3. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I know that all thoss disabilities are good to work with and I so want to work with Omlet and keep her but the Vet said she wouldn;t be able to get up -??? I am just trying to check things out for her future. We don;t want to Cull unless we apsolutely have to!!!!!!! Like she is in pain and suffering disability we sure can do here!!!

Oesdog

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she eating and drinking? Does she seem to be in pain? Is she getting picked on?
    I know you know the questions to ask... so this might just be one of those things that you will need to take just one day at a time... you will know when and if the time comes.
    I, myself, have never heard of this deformity, so can't help there...BUT I do know vets... mine is wonderful, but he doesn't have all the answers either... he sees most people don't want to be bothered with a problem and is responding to the average person...... he's learned a lot from our family because we refused to give up and things DID turn out well... it sometimes just takes extra care and attention. Trust your instincts... don't give up... and good luck with Omlet.

5. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I agree -- do what you think is right and best for the bird, but don't have it put to sleep just on the say so of one vet. They are human and don't know it all, either.

I've seen little carts for paralyzed dogs that allow them to get around, perhaps worst case scenario you could improvise something like that for Omlette. Maybe it won't even come to that. Hard to say, but as long as the bird isn't suffering, I say do what you think is right. If that means trying to help it to have a happy life, then do so.

6. nifty50chick

nifty50chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    I agree, take it one day at a time.
    Those with disabilities often learn to adapt to a certain degree. I love the comment by Denninmi about the cart, and it may not come to that, but you and Omlet will know what is the right thing.
    One day at a time.
    My place is full of "odd" critters, i usually have 3 legged dogs, blind cats and many with emotional wounds/challenges.
    Hugs and cheers to you an Omlet! Sending you strength and positive thoughts.

7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I am another member of the 'pro-keep' camp.

You may well find she will cope, and if things look as though they are getting to be progressively more difficult for her, THEN cull her.

I've a pullet with a wing that hangs down and a twisted bum, but she is fine. I have a blind sheep and a sheep with a twisted leg... they need extra care, but are otherwise fine.

Let us know how you get on,

sandie

8. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Thanks guys. I am pro keep - yes especialy with Omlet who is a pet. But I also see the needs of those who keep lots of birds for Egg production and breeds for showing who can;t do what I am able.

At the moment she is laying down in the corner of the brood box and is hard work to get up in the mornings. Yesterday she was better on her feet and ate and drank herself. Grooming is an icreasing issue as she can;t put her head back to do it without falling over now. I can;t see how the severity of this has come on so quick? I know she was always wobbly on her feet and we called her Omlet because she has always been a bit scrambled! But this came on really quick which makes me think she got hurt , sttod on maybe by Betty the stronger chick. I was thinking of taking her Roo away but I feel bad about that as they love eachother and have always been together. He is standing on her sometimes though and I don;t think thats helpful either even if he cuddles up to her a lot.

Oesdog - I am thinking were not going to win this battle [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I mean if she were in with the others she would be trampled to death and she sure would not get food or water when only weeks ago she was sooooooo fast the others didn;t get a look in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by