Curved, crooked toes.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by landonjacob, Jul 29, 2013.

1. landonjacob

landonjacob In the Brooder

Nov 25, 2012
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I have a chicken (Delaware) who has a toe on each foot that seems to bend in an odd way. I notice some of my other chicken's toes that will do this sometimes, but not near as much as my Delaware. I've noticed this since she was a few weeks old.

Is this a problem?

I have a friend who said that it might be because I don't have a round roost for them to wrap their toes around (I use the wide end of a 2x4). Could this be the issue?

Any knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Excuse the pic quality. It was difficult getting a good picture.

Thanks! -Landon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    If you could have splinted it when she was very young the toes might have straightened out. I've seen where they make little cardboard splints for them. But since she is older now I don't think there is much you can do. As long as it does not bother her she should be fine. If she's had it since she was a chick she could have just been born that way. I think she should be just fine as long as it does not bother her. Ihope this helps. Best wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: