Curved feet

MYon

Chirping
Jun 17, 2018
Hello! So, we got our first chickens today. They are roughly 3 weeks old & purchased from local farm store. Employee just scooped them up quickly & put in box, so I didn't get chance to check them over. Once home I noticed 1 chick had strange looking toes as I was getting them out of box. They all just settled in to rest, so I didn't bother her. Then when I took them outside they all got up & walked around. That's when I noticed the one had very crooked toes on both feet. She gets around just fine & I don't see any broken skin. My question, I guess is, should I bother to splint? I don't know how long they've been like that & it's every toe. Thanks for any advice.

Ok. Here's what I took yesterday. I'm not home at moment. I held her to where she was still baring a little weight, so it could be seen that way instead of picking her up, since she curls them completely when I do.

Attachments

• 20180617_203513.jpg
    20180617_203513.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180617_203525.jpg
    20180617_203525.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 14
What a sweet little chick:) Thank you for the photos.
Likely they can't be fixed, but you may want to try to tape them for a few days to help get the feet flatter. I would also offer poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin) or crush 1/4 tablet of human B-Complex and add it to her feed daily for at least a week.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1139759/curled-up-chick-toes
https://www.mypetchicken.com/backya...-toes-are-all-curled-up-whats-wrong-H293.aspx
Thanks so much! I obviously didn't even know where to begin. Grateful for this little corner of the Internet :)

Thanks so much! I obviously didn't even know where to begin. Grateful for this little corner of the Internet :)

We're glad your here! I forgot to Welcome You :welcome

I do hope you stick around, keep us updated on your chicks, ask questions, offer help and suggestions to others. BYC is a wonderful place to share, you will find friends and hopefully learn a few things too:)

Was able to be home for a bit & was able to get her out & on the garage floor for better pics. Do you think taping them, as suggested, still or just go with the vitamins. I'm clearly nervous about taping them....haha.

Attachments

• 20180618_105014.jpg
    20180618_105014.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180618_105106.jpg
    20180618_105106.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 12
I had a chick last summer who I got at a feed store. Her feet curled under and she couldn't stand. We cut little triangles out of card stock and taped her toes to the triangles. I also bought some vitamin/electrolytes at the feed store and added it to her water. After a few days her feet got better. I read that it can be due to a riboflavin deficiency. She is a full grown hen now and is the first to raise a brood! And to think that she started out kinda crippled.

Back
Top Bottom