Curvy hen toes

navasima

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
New Mexico
Well, I brought home a Japanese today - baby doll of a hen! Don't know her exact age... Her nails were so long that the toes are actually curved. One toe is missing a nail completely. She's so sweet that she let me pick her up and trim her nails about 30 min. after I brought her home. I was able to take a good 1..5 " off.

Any chance her toes will return to normal? Her movement isn't hampered at all, just these poor - not straight - toes. They curve to the side and even up a bit....

BTW: With dogs, we always called this a religious nail trim. That's when you yell: OMG!! and grab the clippers!
wink.png

BTW: With dogs, we always called this a religious nail trim. That's when you yell: OMG!! and grab the clippers! wink

Funny!

Her toes were probably bent like that to start with - accident of hatch or genetic defect. So she could not trim her nails by scratching and sounds like nobody was doing it for her. I don't think there is a way to straighten at this point.​

So I brought home her sister today...yeah, I'm a weenie...went back and got her. Her feet are worse! Nails missing on each foot.....feet a bit swollen, but not looking scaly or "sickly", know what I mean? Poor girls! I bet in a week or two they'll look quite a bit better!!

I have a Polish roo with one bent toe. So far the nail hasn't been any longer than the others, but I can see that it may need clipping in the future, just doesn't get the ground contact the same way the other nails do. I have just been hoping that it wouldn't cause any trouble for the ladies, now I am going to pay more attention to the nail its self. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom