custom feed mix with kelp

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Buns, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Buns

Buns Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    I am going to have a custom feed mix done using a formula that the store already offers combining soybean meal and corn chops. I want to add some ground kelp and also am considering having the BOSS I am tossing out daily added into the mix. I also periodically give calf manna, but they don't like the pellets much. If I can figure out a way to grind them up I may have that put in, too. Does anyone else have kelp in their feed and if so, have you noticed any benefits? It will be added at 1 - 2% of the total ration.
    I would appreciate any input, pro or con, to this. And any ideas about how to grind up a sack of calf manna would be helpful, too.
    Thanks. [​IMG]

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have kelp added to both my layer and broiler feed. As far as benefits for layers, none that I could see other healthy happy layers. I would have to think their eggs are more nutrionally complete. As far as the broilers, I think it helps tremendously. I have only lost a low percentage of birds to flips, and I think the kelp is the difference. I think your 1-2% is right on as far as the amount.

Calf - manna - If you having your feed custom made, you may be able to bring the mill a bag of it, and have them add it to the other ingrediants before they grind it all up.

3. eggbuster

eggbuster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I mix my own feed and add kelp. What I am finding is that no one eats it. I have a large accumulation of kelp building up in the bottom of the feeders. I feed all my chickens, (layers & meaties) geese and turkeys the same and I mean no one will touch the stuff. Cleaned the feed pans of old kelp and it still keeps building up. I am going to stop using it as it is a complete waste of money for me. All my birds are free range, so that may be the reason. It may not offer anything they need at this time. I will leave some free choice on the side along with the oyster shell and leave it at that. My opinion is: try it and see what happens, the previous poster's chickens eat it and it may be that yours will too.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I mix my own feed and add kelp in very small amounts. They eat it. You are supposed to strive for 1% of the total feed:
    http://www.noamkelp.com/slfeed.html (scroll down for poultry recommendation)

5. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:where can you buy the kelp??? thanks

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:where can you buy the kelp??? thanks

I just buy mine at the feed store. It is $73 for a large bag- ouch!

7. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    What about walking down to the coast for a "beach clean up"? :)

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You should find Kelp meal on line if you cant find it around you..

I get mine for $52.00 50 lbs

Chris

9. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
  10. Buns

Jul 3, 2010
    Quitman, Texas
    Quote:Would very much appreciate it if you would share your feed recipe. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by