Custom Made mantle grade duck decoys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by al6517, Jan 8, 2009.

1. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Well I have been dabbling in a thought lately, dangerous I know, and wanted duck owners response on if it may be a good idea or not. I like to carve custom made mantle grade duck decoys. I thought maybe if some folks have a special or favorite family pet duck, that they may want immortalized in a custom wood carving. Something that would sit on a Fireplace mantle or shelf or special place in your home, that maybe you would be interested in have one commishioned, and maybe what you think it may be worth to you to have one custom made for you.
    Details:
    Hand carved
    Hand painted
    Realistic eyes
    Felt bottom
    Artist signed & dated
    one of a kind

Here or a few samples photos for you to get an idea of the craftsmanship.
    please I need honest opinions you will not hurt my feelings.

AL
    Harlequin Drake
    [​IMG]

Mallard Drake
    [​IMG]

A few samples: Blue wing teal/ Scaup
    [​IMG]

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    wow, those are neat! Would you be able to do custom orders? For example, i have two runners currently who are practically like children to me... would you be able to carve some to look like my ducks? Is the uprightness of a runner possible? would you work form pictures?

oh, and how much would you charge for one?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Yes that is exactly the reason for my post. I would create a very close replica of your ducks, and yes I could work from photos, but they would have to be good quality and several different angles. I do not do feet and legs so we would visit about the pose.

As far as cost I am trying to get an idea of what some folks would be willing to pay, so throw out a figure and we will talk about it.
    i have done some commishions for ducks unlimited and for disply at some wildfowl gallerys.

AL

4. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    Hi Al
    I like your work, and I love wood working of all types, Carving is great I sure wish that I could do it.. I tried once and cut myself [​IMG] so I gave up [​IMG]
    I was just wondering about the feet and leg thing, without them the runner would just be another duck, have you tried to carve them off the duck and then attach after you are finished like legs on a chair? and have you tried chickens? good luck with your ducks and if you ever get the feet and leg thing worked out I may want to talk..

Don [​IMG]

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yes I have thought about the leggs and feet quite a bit and yes I think I could do it, there is just a center of gravity and balance issue. But if I can attach the feet to a decoritive base it would then be no problem. I made a duck jerky serving dish one time that had the real feet of a mallard on it, there were 3 of them that made a pedistal mounted back to back with the feet splayed out and dried worked very well.

No I have not tried to make any chickens as of yet, I am afraid if I did my orders would be through the roof. LOL

AL

6. HennyPennies2007

HennyPennies2007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    You bet your bippy they would be!!!

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Hey Girl what's up, so what do you think??.

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I saw that you didn't get any responses about the cost. It shouldn't be overly expensive, and it should probably be by sizes. (Ducklings should cost a lot less.) If it was me, I would pay up to 50 dollars, but not any more than that.

9. chickensandmore

chickensandmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Spiro Ok
    Hey Al
    Just wondering how long does it take to make one

Don [​IMG]

10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    if you could do runners like bowling pins that would be cool... [​IMG]