1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

customer says blood spots in eggs are gross??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by charmedbychickens, Sep 23, 2010.

1. charmedbychickens

charmedbychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Question for you all.

I have a regular customer who came up to me today and mentioned that she got 3 eggs with blood spots in them recently. She asked me if I candle them or anything. I don't of course. Evidentally she is really grossed out by them. Whenever I get a egg with a blood spot in them (which is next to never), I try to get most of it out with a spoon and then make sure I cook the egg really extra well. She thought the egg might have started to develope. I know that is not possible because I collect my eggs quite often, sometimes three to four times a day.

I told her that I have heard all sorts of things about how those blood spots get in there. Some say it starts when the chicken is making the egg inside of them, some say it is from fertile eggs and some say that is may because the hens are interbred. There are other things I have read about on this message board as to why it happens.

Anyway, I offered to replace the eggs with the spots in them. I was wondering if there was anything I could say to aleviate her fears about that spot so that I don't have to keep giving away eggs. Or if there is something I could do to help the chickens from producing eggs that might have that problem. I don't want to lose her as a customer.

2. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I've gotten blood spots in store eggs before. Its not an uncommon occurrence.

3. brownlikewoah

brownlikewoah Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    seattle
    well, i used to have a hen would would have eggs with blood spots somewhat often, and I don't have any roosters so theres no way it was from it developing. From everything I read online a lot of it can have to do with how active the hen is, totally natural, she should be happy your hens are happy and being active young ladies, its totally normal!

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

WikiAnswers.com's explanation of blood spots....

What causes blood spots in eggs?

Blood spots are also called meat spots. Occasionally found on an egg yolk. Contrary to popular opinion, these tiny spots do not indicate a fertilized egg. Rather, they are caused by the rupture of a blood vessel on the yolk surface during formation of the egg or by a similar accident in the wall of the oviduct. Less than 1% of all eggs produced have blood spots.

Mass candling methods reveal most eggs with blood spots and those eggs are removed but, even with electronic spotters, it is impossible to catch all of them. As an egg ages, the yolk takes up water from the albumen to dilute the blood spot so, in actuality, a blood spot indicates that the egg is fresh. Both chemically and nutritionally, these eggs are fit to eat. The spot can be removed with the tip of a knife, if you wish.

Blood spots are more commonly found in brown eggs. The reason is two-fold. Firstly, the genetics of brown birds predisposes them to lay more eggs with blood spots in them. Secondly, during the candling procedure, the brown shell of the egg appears to have a red tint to it, which makes the task of looking for a red spot behind it extremely difficult.

I eat my steaks med/rare ~ a little blood spot in an egg is nothing! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    tell the customer the blood spots have nothing to do with fertile eggs and its an old wives tale, there is nothing you can do about the blood spots besides figure out what hen is giving them, I can't tell you why they happen, they occur once in awhile in store bought eggs also, actually I've always found it easier to pull them out with the shell then a spoon. I haven't gotten any in my girls eggs. and I certainly wouldn't replace an egg that had a spot in it, find another customer though I can imagine its a little off putting when you find the blood spot in a boiled egg, because I saw an egg in the garbage where I work and it had a spot in it I guess the other girl lost her appetite.
    gl

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I wouldn't worry about it, I cooked it well with my scrambled eggs and tasted just fine!

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    If you want to keep her as a customer, perhaps you should candle the dozen eggs you sell her. I know it's more work, but she may not buy otherwise. Bummer that it bugs her so much.

8. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    You know what? I am more grossed out by watching someone eat a rare steak! Ask her if she eats her steaks rare. Its a good comparison I think. If she is willing to eat that much blood in a steak, what is a spot of blood in an egg that will be fully cooked?

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Okay, first of all, they are gross--who wants to look at bloody eggs? [​IMG] That being said they don't effect the quality of the egg and have nothing to do with fertilization or maturing chick which is the usual reaction. Tell your customer to make sure she cracks them into a bowl before using and fish out the blood with a spoon. If she's not willing to do that, offer to replace any that she finds blood spots in. Also you can tell her that factory eggs are candled to remove anything like that but the removed eggs are then used in bake goods and cake mixes--something for her to think about. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have one GC Maran that leaves a meat spot in almost every egg she lays.

I'll be selling her before long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by