Customer upset that their chicks died

ngennetta

Songster
7 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Colorado
Hello all. I was hoping you could offer some helpful advice-

I have been hatching chicks for a few years. I use two RCOMs, and hatch about 200 per year.

Between hatches clean the incubators- blow out the dust from fans, and fully sanitize by first washing what I can in the dishwasher, followed by hospital disinfectant. Before hatching I run the incubator for at least 24 hours to stabilize temp and humidity.

My outdoor flock is NPIP certified, and none are showing any signs of illness. I also do not handle birds and the incubator without washing.

I have a customer that I have hatched several eggs for. She recently started breeding silkies and was hatching on her own. However she had some extras and asked me to incubate them as she didn't have enough room in her incubator.

She contacted me today stating that the two I hatched for her, along with 4 others she hatched, have died. She states it is my fault, and I gave her sick chicks. She is also wanting me to reimburse her the $150 she spent in a vet visit for her flock of adult birds. When I gave her the chicks they were not showing any signs of illness (they were 2 days old).

So, what do you all think? I do not have the money to pay her for the vet visit, however I also don't think I am responsible for that. She also stated that she was upset and "I can’t in recommend your services to people and I can’t use you to hatch chicks anymore. Sorry. I am simply unwilling after watching these guys die like this and getting the npip speech when I contacted you about it."

Thank you for your thoughts.

What did the chicks die from and how old were they? I think once they are out of your hands, if they were healthy on delivery, you are not responsible. You can't control her brooding practices and sometimes chicks die. Plus, they were her eggs and were only in your incubator, so if anything, she gave you a weak stock of eggs. :p

It's not your fault. I'll vouch for you. Sometimes chickens die and srsly, are you in complete control of their health when they are still in the egg!?! IF she is really going to be this dramatic, then I guess it's just one less customer. DOn't worry, everyone wants baby chickens. You business will do well!;)

Thank you. I don't usually worry about the occasional customer complaint, but I am really internalizing this one.

She states that they had a respiratory "crud" when I gave them to her. That was what prompted the vet visit- she wanted Tylan for her entire flock. I am worried about my name (and my business) being tarnished

I understand. COnsider moving to another state. Just kidding! But I honestly don't think she could do too much damage to your business. Reason with her and explain that you are just not in control of somethings. Would she be content with a replacement of chicks? Could you do that?

Lol yes, I'll start packing ;)

I sent her a reply, but have not heard back from her. She is quite upset, to say the least. I am not able to replace them since they were her eggs, and even so she wouldn't want me to incubate them

you incubated her eggs as a favor and all she can do is complain, hmmm. I would think it's entirely possible that she introduced something to your set up with her eggs. if you are breeding and hatching as a business, I would advice against bringing someone else's eggs in, that can certainly introduce new bacteria into your set up. as for the vet visit, that is her choice and inherently expensive, often shockingly so to people. perhaps she is having trouble wrapping her mind around the result of her choices and is looking for a scapegoat. I don't think you owe her anything. at the very least, sometimes chicks die and we simply don't know why... and sometimes people are just kind of nuts. maybe just offer her a credit for what she paid for any chicks that died and replace them down the line when you are hatching again? hopefully she will come around.

Agree with the above. I would never introduce foreign eggs or chicks into my business, it's too risky. I doubt that it's your fault if they were absolutely healthy when you gave them to her, it's probably something that's her fault. if they were sick I reckon they would have showed it in those two days, I'd bet the other 4 she put in there with them at least one was sick and it spread, and just because you hatched two for her shes right on the blame train so she can get some money out of you and because she doesn't want to admit it could be her fault!

its worth building up a positive rep with past customers so they can vouch for you too. additionally, you owe her nothing. she should have known the risks of cross-contamination and it stumps me that she can blame you when they were in her care at the time... I also recommend you keep a close eye on any chicks that hatched or you brooded them with in case there is an outbreak on a new disease from these chicks.. as, for your business, I highly advise against hatching for anyone from now on, if another problem like this arises it could destroy your business reputation.

She should have known there was risks. She seems like an unreasonable person and hateful to attempt to hurt your feelings and reputation. You were not at fault. Things happen. Stay away from her. I'm sorry this happened to you.

Back
Top Bottom