Cut chick foot

Eggsandbeyond

Songster
Apr 13, 2023
Hi everyone I'm new here and this is my very first flock!
I have a 3 week old who's scale lifted and she also keeps getting a cut here and there. I attached photo of the cut scale on her foot. Should I be concerned of leg mites?
Shes the only one with this issue. They're in an indoor brooder but one chick is a bit of a bully she could have pecked it. They also roam my garden weather permitting. So, could have cut it out there.

I am putting neosporin on it occasionally, but its healing quite well now. If I should be concerned for leg mites how's the best way to treat them all?

Attachments

• 20230415_115539.jpg
    20230415_115539.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to BYC!

i've never had to do it but from what i understand to treat leg mites you should suffocate them with oil and petroleum jelly after washing the legs in warm soapy water.

It doesnt look like it has leg mites though. I would just keep an eye on it.

Welcome to BYC!

i've never had to do it but from what i understand to treat leg mites you should suffocate them with oil and petroleum jelly after washing the legs in warm soapy water.

It doesnt look like it has leg mites though. I would just keep an eye on it.
I don't think so either based on Google searches it just looks injured. It's already scabbing over which is good!

Can you post a pic of the brooder they are in so we can see if there might be something sharp she might be injuring herself on?
I just added bricks to put their water and food on. That could have potentially done it. I also think this brooder is getting a bit small for them. Its a puppy play pen but i should have ordered the next size up. Live and learn. 😅
I have one of those nipple waters you attach to a water bottle I am going to put in and remove the bricks. I just need to find a way to attach it.

Attachments

• 20230416_183415.jpg
    20230416_183415.jpg
    452.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom