Cut Grass

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ILOVEFRIZZLES, Oct 19, 2009.

1. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    Has anyone ever cut there grass and but the grass out of the lawnmower bag in the chicken pen.

2. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Every week

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

They'll love it, but they'd rather follow behind the mower so they can get the yummy bugs the mower stirs up as well as the tasty grass.

4. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    All summer long. They love it.

5. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    I dry the grass and bag it in feed bags to allow them some yummies in the winter.

6. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I was not sure if there would be any grease on it grass or anything else bad on it. Thanks I will give it to them

7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    You will probably be told by some that you shouldn't for various reasons but i do it every time i mow and they love it. Never had a problem. Good Luck

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I don't know if it applies to chickens but several people made their small pets like guinea pigs and rabbits or livestock like horses ill or even dead from feeding the clippings that came from gas powered mowers. The clippings got contaminated by the exhaust and large amounts led to serious illness. It is not suggested by any small pet forum to give them lawn clippings unless your mower is all electric or one of those hand pushed ones. Can't tell you for certain whether it would be a problem for chickens or in your situation or not though.

9. ihvpower

ihvpower Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Uxbridge MA
    I put a big pile in the run every week too but I will consider what Akane says too!

10. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    I would also be careful if you use any chemicals on your lawn such as fertilizer, weed killer, esp. moss killer, or lime. That is why I only use Corn Gluten Meal (a natural fertilizer) for my lawn now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by