cut leg on chics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by auriel12, Feb 24, 2014.

1. auriel12

auriel12 New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    I bought 3 chicks that are now 4 weeks old. Two of them started limping than hopping. When I checked their legs and feet, I found that their legs had deep cuts that encircled their mid legs. I cut the bands off of them as soon as I got them so I don't know what could have done the damage. Do chicks come with something else around their legs? How can I correct the problem?

Got my answer when I took chicks to the vet. There was an extra band that had encircled their legs just below the knee that was not seen by the feed store or me. There are now deep cuts and maybe nerve damage on one of the chicks.

Please chicken buyers and sellers, examine your baby chicks very carefully to avoid this costly and painful experience.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    it seems to me that the person you bough them from had put some leg bands on them usually done to tell them apart, then they forgot to tell you about them and the chicks grew and it cut their legs.

hopefully you cough it early enough, and they will get better with time.

3. auriel12

auriel12 New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanks for your reply Nava. I cut the small band off that was near their feet. When I spoke to the person that sold them to me, she said that was the only ones they had put on. If there was any other band, it was hidden in their mid leg feathers and I didn't see or feel them. Interesting that the indentations around the legs are on the same leg and position on both chicks.

I really need to know if I can do anything to stop the swelling and infection so that they can survive with my other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by