Cut on foot-okay to use liquid bandage?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by walkerkm, May 18, 2011.

1. walkerkm

walkerkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Ma
    My 1 year old RIR has a cut on her foot-looks like she must have been scratching in the run and cut it on something-not sure what...i looked around the whole run and checked the roost and found nothing....

She's limping a little when she walks on it. I washed her foot to examine it and it doesn't look deep (not open and bleeding at all) more like a 1/4-1/2 inch surface scratch on the pad of her foot, but either way it's bothering her that she is limping. It's not bumblefoot thankfully-as we've had our fair share of performing that surgery a few times.

I'm in MA and we are living in a week long forcast of rain which equalls a muddy run. right now the run is all muck-yuck!
    I don't want the scratch to get infected so i wanted to see what is the best thing to do besides keep her in the coop away from the muck? anyone use liquid bandage? i heard it stings at first, but works well. If i tape her up with vet wrap and duct tape, the muck will just get to the scratch regardless.
    any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Kelly

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I don't see why not. Sounds like a good route to me! If you can get him to hold still long enough for it to dry and hopefully not peck at it?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not if it has benzocaine in it. Any "caine" can kill a bird.

4. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I do NOT recommend liquid bandage. It stings & sticks like super glue - my experience with it has been bad. I would wash it out with betadine, put neosporin on it and then wrap if possible. You can make a nearly waterproof outer bandage with gorilla tape or duct tape depending on where it is on the foot. The other possibility is just keeping her inside in a clean kennel or cage with a light wrapping.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by