Cut on Foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misspea78, Sep 17, 2011.

1. misspea78

misspea78 New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    One of my three month old chickens caught his/her (not sure yet!) toe or foot in the door of the coop as I was closing it. There is a little blood and "Peck" is favoring it, holding it up ... and is a little puffed out. This literally happened five minutes ago as I was changing their water. Peck is moving around just fine, but when standing, holds the hurt foot up. These are my first chickens. I feel terrible and am not sure what I should do next. They are tame, and will take food from my hand and hop up on me when I sit with them but don't like being held AT ALL. It really stresses them out, which is why I have not yet scooped him up for a better look. Should I just let him be and keep an eye on it to avoid further stress? Should I clean the wound? With what? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Marilyn

2. misspea78

misspea78 New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Ok .. I've been observing the injury and it does not seem too bad. Walking normal, no more favoring or holding up. Not puffed up anymore. Greedily munching on some grapes I brought down to bribe with while getting a better look. The cut is on one toe and it is not actively bleeding anymore. It seems to be covered in dirt, though, and I am not sure if this is a good thing because it has helped to stop the bleeding, or a bad thing, because it could bring infection.

3. Dewsetter

Dewsetter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Liverpool, England
    I think you would be better getting hold of the little one and just dunking the whole foot in a bowl or cup of salty water and giving it a wiggle about. Dont use cotton wool or anything like that to wipe it as it's possible you could dislodge a blood clot and start it bleeding it again. It doesn't sound too bad and should be fine but if you can take a picture of it when you clean it I may be able to help you more. Good luck.

4. misspea78

misspea78 New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the advice! Peck looks so much better today but I'll keep an eye on it and I'll post a pic if I can manage to hold the foot still enough. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by