Cute 5 1/2 week old bird but looks different than the others

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jenniferjill, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Jenniferjill

Jenniferjill In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Can anybody help me identify this cutie? I purchased 2 black sex-link chicks and a gold laced Wyandotte. My Wyandotte is definitely one of those and one of the black sex links looks [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    just how she should BUT, one of the sex links is red... Not sure if it's the breed I think it is or something else! Help!

2. WildWestChick

WildWestChick Songster

Mar 24, 2014
    Southwestern Utah
    Well first off....:welcome

And it isn't a black sex link....it looks like it could possibly be a welsummer. But that is just a guess.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    It's definitely not a Black Sex Link. I think a Welsummer is as good a guess as any.

4. Jenniferjill

Jenniferjill In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you for your responses. She is a sweet girl no matter what she is! I've been curious as she's been developing very different than the other black sex link... I was getting worried that maybe I got a rooster. I am a rookie chicken raiser, these three are my first so I'm sure I'll be posting more questions! :)

5. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    She is a girl too don't worry. sex links are usually mix breed so they can look different from each other(some have more red than others, and if they were boys they'd probably have silver color instead of gold, plus wattles and bigger combs by now). They should be healthy and good egg layers. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: