Cute as baby button quail (PICS)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by justinszoo, Sep 8, 2008.

1. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    My new babies......hatched 9-3-08

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Adorable! [​IMG]
    Please, educate me!
    There are Button Quail and Painted Button Quail? I've done a lot of googling and I'm still a bit confused. We have a few Cortunix and I would love to get the colorful quail as well. There were some at the 4-H fair and the colors were incredible! Like tiny peacocks.
    I hope I'm not hijacking your post, I just thought I'd go right to the source.
    Thanks!!!

3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    So cute! My daughter has decided she would like some Button quail. We definitely need education on them, first, though.

4. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I have been doing a lot of research, and still don't know that much about them. The guy that hatched them for me has been very helpful. If anyone wants to jump in and answer questions feel free.

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Painted Button Quail are the same as Button Quail.

Actually teh confusion starts there at the name "button quail" the TRUE button quail isnt really a button quail after all, the true button quail is actaully a specicies of water fowl found in the simliar area as button quail are in teh wild (china). But they also used the name button quail to discribe our lil cuties! So button quail AND painte dbutton quail ARE the same, however the phrase button quail is actually a sort of "pet name" for the birds we know....they are offically "Chinese Painted Quail".

Heres info on that (on true button quail-- i can guarrentee you that you do not own true button quails--as theres only like a few pairs of these in the US and they are very hard to raise and they are not really quails--more like cranes): http://www.zebrafinch.com/newbuttonquail/TrueButtonQuail.html

by
    the way www.zebrafinch.com is the BEST site for into about our pet button quails...he has ALL the color genetics and varieties pictures galore AND he has a book out you can buy!

By the way (to the original poster with the chicks) they are sooo cute! Looks like you got some splashes there!!! [​IMG]

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    What do you DO with them?
    I spoke with a guy who said he raises them & sets them loose!?! Is that a good thing?

7. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:woah are yous ure he sets button quails loose? If so, this is immorally wrong. They cannot survive in most of the US's temperatures without shelter and in some cases a heat source. That'd be ilke releasing Peacocks into the "wild" here in teh US....jsut isn't a good idea. In the southern states they might survive, but their instincts to keep out of the elements are poor, and even though they are fast, and and fly away..most would be killed and eaten within days. They are horrible canidates for release..and its' probably more than likely illegal (and I can guarrentee you there isno permit to release button quails in the US, in china posibly but not here).

If he releases BobWhite quail that's different (and some other species) as they originate from the US and can surive most of our harsh temps.

Button Quail are raised for their fancy colors, and pet apeal...(however they'r enot friendly parsay...more like having finches as pets..more of a "look at pet" or a fish).

I raise them beacuse i love their color varities and genetics...and its' fun to incubate their eggs and hatch out tiny babies the size of bumblebees.

8. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    We got them for house pets. I used to have macaws, but they were too risky with the kids. After debating on several other species of pet birds we decided to go with the button quail due to the variety of color and ease of care.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  9. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I am supposed to be getting some button quail hatching eggs. I appreciate reading all the info in the posts.
    Oh, those are absolutely gorgeous little babies!!!!

10. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    They will be a week old Wed. and they have already doubled in size. In about 4 1/2 weeks we should start getting eggs. When I saw the eggs I didn't think it was possible for anything to grow in them.

MagsC good luck with ur eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by