1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cute baby chick story

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenaddict, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have a hen thats about 1 lb full grown i picked her up at a swap last fall... I let her hatch 3 clutches this year and she is on her last clutch now, chicks are happy and healthy and about a month old now. She has started taking them "outside" to teach them how to get bugs and such. Their daddy who has been away from them this whole time decided to pop in for a visit the other day. I have them in the garage until they are big enough to join the rest of the flock outside. Crash my white cochin bantam roo hopped in the brooder with mama and her babies and started finding the babies treats and letting them jump up and peck his face and pull his feathers. They all decided it was time for a walk so he jumps on the ledge of the brooder along with mama hen and the babbies follow one by one. They spent the day with their daddy out in the yard. He even went back to the coop and brought back the rest of the flock to check out the new babies and everyone was fine with them which baffled me considering the last clutch which is just over 3 months old now had a heck of a time fitting in with the others. He is also the father of those as well. Funny how he accepted these ones with no problems but he didnt want ANYTHING to do with the last clutch. I went outside to check on how they were doing and they were all hanging out under the boat on the side of the house rolling around in a dirt hole they had spent all day digging up. Mama, daddy, and 5 babies all rolling around in the dirt together... Unfortunately i didnt have a camera on me at that time.Here is a pic of mama in the brooder with the little ones
    [​IMG]
    and another of her and the babies outside digging up my landscaping rocks (sigh)[​IMG]

2. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    What breeds are mom and dad? The chicks are so cute - it looks like there are 2 white biddies and 3 black ones?

Penny

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Not sure what the mom is she has slate blue legs and pearl white earlobes but shes built like a buff japanese the dad is a white cochin bantam. Thanks i just love them they are really a hoot to watch [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by