Cute baby chicks! Now with Pics!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bil, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    See if I can tell this without it becoming a book. [​IMG]

We had one of our hens go broody a number of weeks ago, and she hatched out 3 very cute chicks. We have been keeping them separate from the flock for a couple of weeks just because I didn't know what else to do. [​IMG]

Well, yesterday I fixed up a creep feeder so the other hens wouldn't eat all the chick feed and put the 3 chicks and momma in the coop with the other hens. Well, all the girls came in to the coop to see what was going on but momma let them know that they were not welcome and sent them right back out so the chicks could get to know the place.

Well, all was great yesterday. They went out with mom and had fun in the pasture. Last night I went to make sure they made it back in the coop and that all was well. I placed a 1-hole nest box on the ground so the momma and chicks would have a place to stay for the night (this is what they have been sleeping in for the last 2 weeks in the brooder). Well, I went out and looked in the nest box and it was empty. I looked around to find them outside but they were no where to be found! OH OH!!! [​IMG]

Go back in the coop and look up on the roost, and there they are. Over 5 feet off the ground sitting under mom's wings resting comfortably waiting for me to turn the lights off. Now I do have "steps" up to that roost but they are not small steps. I'm not quite sure how the 3 chicks made it all the way up. Here is a picture of the "steps":
    [​IMG]

Then they had to walk across the top roost to the left you see there and then jump up another 16 inches to the higher roost. I'm quite proud of my daredevil chickens!

I'll try and take a picture tonight! [​IMG]

Bil

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. chicksrcool

chicksrcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    SoCal
    Wow they are a determined little group I guess. Would love to see the pics tonight! [​IMG]

3. chixie

chixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    kountze texas
    cute chicks

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    How fun that your babies are already ready to be big kids and roost with the adults! It always amazes me how fast they grow up. One day they can barely walk and the next they are practically flying around the brooder.

5. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Here are pictures from tonight. Once again they are on the top roost.

Here you can see the chicks under her

[​IMG]

And here you can see the roost they are on:
    [​IMG]

Fun to see them grow up so fast! [​IMG]

6. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    That is too sweet!

7. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Too cute...look at the girl on the side of her. She is looking like "I need to get me some of those" LOL Or maybe she is trying to figure out if she can fit under there too. LOL

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwwww, precious pictures! Your birds are soooo pretty!! [​IMG]

9. <3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Earth
    cute, I own alot of those breeds of birds if not all!! super cute!!

_ _
    born2Bwild

10. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Cute pictures. We had a flock of wild chickens roaming our neighborhood in Charleston SC a few years ago and one of the hens had hatched five chicks. We happened to have a huge sycamore tree in our back yard, with branches all the way to ground level. One day just before sunset, I got to watch mama hen teach her babies how to get up in the tree to roost for the night. She'd go up on the first branch and cluck to them, while they cheeped pitifully on the ground. Eventually one of them got up the nerve to try to jump/fly up onto the branch, and then the others would give it a try, eventually all made it except one timid chicken soul. Mama kept taking the others up the tree, branch by branch, and finally the "chicken" chicken got up the nerve to take the plunge, so to speak. Eventually she had them all about eight feet up in the tree, all clustered under her wings. My DH practically had to tie me to a chair to keep me from going out to help that timid chick before it got the nerve to make that leap up onto that first branch, but eventually chickie did it himself.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by