Cute bantam frizzle Cochin story

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by featheredmom, Nov 29, 2012.

1. featheredmom

featheredmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2012
    Our white frizzle cochin is just GORGEOUS, more than that though, she is trying to be "mom" already.

At 3wks she started trying to cover all the other chicks with her wings at night. By 4wks some of her "box mates" wouldnt have any of that and I was afraid she would get hurt(she was insistent on covering them, they were insistent about not being covered), so we moved her into a box with 3 other frizzles and 3 silkie chicks that are all happy to be snuggled at night(5 of them are a week younger-so that helps too). So every night they settle in on either side of her and she checks them and covers them(despite the fact that they are almost her size).

I know that cochins make great broody hens, I just didnt realize that it started this young(or that it even could). She is a great gal(Im guessing based on the nurturing behavior, they are straight run chicks), super sweet to all and keeps her box mates in line-that is the only group that doesnt spill water constantly-because she oversees EVERYTHING. I cant wait until she is older and can hatch/raise chicks, she's gonna be a great mom!!!

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Cute. :). I never heard of one that young doing motherly things! Hope she grows into an awesome broody for you!

3. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    Awwww, now you have me wanting one. That is so sweet - we need a picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by