cute black chickens !!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mightymidnight1, Mar 22, 2016.

1. mightymidnight1

mightymidnight1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    Hello, I just joined BYC and I have a question, my family is going to get 6 chickens. We are thinking about a long horn and red island mix. I get to pick a chicken and I want a nice black chicken that is friendly. is there any one that knows of a good black chicken breed ??? I am interested in australorp. if any one has any info plz let me know.

Thanks!!![​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Black Australorps are said to be very good layers and generally a non-aggressive breed. They are black, though they don't start out completely black.

3. harmesonfarm

harmesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2015
    Nanaimo, BC
    we have an astralorp, she's very pretty has a green tint to her feathers in the sunlight, very handsome chicken!
    find her very friendly, she's an older gal though so not sure about the laying...

just recently got maran x chicks that are black with coppery colouring, their friendly enough so far! we'll see if it stays like that as they get older, right now their just only 4-5 weeks old.

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

The Black Australorp would be a great choice! I have 8 of them right now. They do not start out as all black as babies, but as they grow and the feathers will come in as all black. As they begin to mature, the black feathers will have a green sheen to them in the sun.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and [​IMG] - great to have you onboard. If you take a look at the Breeds section (between Coops and Gallery) you should find more information on the kinds of breeds that fit your criteria. Good luck!

6. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

x2 on CTKen's suggestion to take a look at the Breeds forum...you'll be able to see reviews of the breeds by BYC members.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    thanks for the info....... I am also looking into where I should buy them..... I live near a BIG R and am wondering if that's a good place to get them ???

9. mightymidnight1

Mar 22, 2016
    middle of no where
    THANK'S[​IMG]

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Welcome! Most feed/tractor supply stores have fine chicks. Just don't pick sickly looking ones, go for healthy moving, and peeping chicks. Avoid any with a scissor beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by