Cute chicken family - Curious on breed & gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Manders, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Manders

Manders New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    The Mr. and I came across this cute family near our house that we've seen on several occasions and they are just so unique and friendly! We figured that the brown one is a hen and the black one is the rooster, but he never crows, but appears to have a comb and *could* be a rooster. The baby may be a male, too? Here are some shots as we're really curious on their breed and gender.

Thank you in advance!

Please click thumbnails to view larger sizes

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bella1210

bella1210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    do you know how old they are

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    They all look like hens to me the second one light brown is an EE egger I am only guessing on the black as austrolaup (sp?)

4. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    All are hens.Big black one is Australorp,brown one Easter Egger,and litle one looks adult bantam hen-I can not tell you the breed she is

5. Manders

Manders New Egg

Sep 6, 2010
    Thank you all for your quick responses! I have no idea on their ages, but they are all this little family that stay together 24/7 in this little nature pond area next to our house. A local business lets them run freely on their grounds.

We had no idea they were ALL hens, but had our suspicions since they never crowed and were extremely chatty and so very sweet and friendly. But the littlest one is a full-size? I would have never thought, it seems so adolescent like!

I think they must have been hand-held and fed by people early on because of their friendly nature. There are other roosters and hens on the property that are not so friendly and are more skittish.

Thanks again for all your help! We are just starting to do our research into getting a chicks to have at home and this site and board has been a great resource for us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by