Cute, cute, cute...barred over white cochin!! ***PICS***

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
We had to sell all of our bantam cochins in February when my DD was deployed to Iraq. They are at her house and her grandma just couldn't take care of all the pens as she is still working fulltime at 76!! We were able to keep all of our original laying hens of various breeds. One of the originals is a tiny little mottled bantam cochin hen who goes broody at the drop of an egg!! After the buyers picked up the show cochins, I noticed that there were 6 eggs in the coop with little "Molly" the mottled hen and she was thrilled. She'd been trying to hatch chicks for months but we kept taking the eggs away from her and putting her out of the coop everyday. I decided to go ahead and let her hatch them. I knew they had to be either mottles, whites or bards...or a combination thereof!! My roo was a wonderful barred bantam cochin and there had been a white hen, a barred hen and Molly in with him. Below is a pic of the 3 she hatched out of those eggs. I just love the white/barred cross!!

Here is the photo of Molly (blurry) and her three babies...2 barreds and 1 white/barred. OF COURSE...two cockerels and one pullet!!!
9079_img00146.jpg

This was the first time for me having a broody raise chicks and I must say...it was a pleasure!! They aren't as friendly as when you hand raise them...but they're cochins so they are naturally more docile.

What I've noticed is that they started eating treats from the time they are just a few days old.

Whatever I throw out there...they tear it up!!

ETA....yep, yogurt poured on a whole grain english muffin is about their favorite!! Come see them!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom