Cute cute cute! Must See!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by greenfamilyfarms, Sep 24, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

They are cute. But it reminds me of walking thru the livestock sale 30 min from our house each staurday and seeing the "castoffs" of the dairy industry. Usually they are 2-4 days old by the time they get to the sale, having note been fed but once since they were born and shipped in those drafty cattle trucks. They usually die about 3 days after they are sold due to having not been fed for the first few days of life. I hate going thru the backa t the sales [​IMG]

2. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    I have a question about that.....are they supposed to be that skinney when bottle fed? Our neighbor has 3 and they are that skinney and look like they will drop over any time.

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Jersey calves are bony. Out here they go for just a very few dollars. Holstein bull calves can bring good money, but Jerseys you have to practically give them away.

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I need to head out your way. He's wanting $75/head plus I will have to drive 1.5 hours one way in our truck to get one.

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Thats cheap as heck!

6. sparkles2307

Quote:LOL around here they go for 20-30 a head....

7. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Quote:LOL around here they go for 20-30 a head....

I am living in the wrong state! Ive always loved a Jersey cow

8. sparkles2307

Yeah, Holstein bull calves go for like, $65 TOPS and Jerseys are just given away...

9. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Why are holsteins more expensive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by