Cute kitten story.

MoonGoddess

Songster
12 Years
Apr 8, 2007
Philly, PA
I foster kittens and mama cats from the local shelter around here and sometimes I get ones without mamas that need to be bottlefed.
Well three days ago I brought home a SUPER skinny gray mama and her itty bitty two babies (their eyes weren't even open). She has been a great mother, very attentive to every little peep that comes out of the kittens.

Today, I had to pick up three more that had lost their mom and needed to be bottlefed. They are probably are about a week older.
Out of curiousity I wanted to see if the mama would be tolerant of the new babies and let them stay in the same box, so they could all snuggle for warmth.

The moment I started putting one in the box her head whirled around and she stared at it. I was like "Uh oh" And I started pulling it back, but she was too quick. The moment her nose touched the kitten's head she started licking its ears. I was in awe. She did the same thing with the other two.

Within two minutes she had them all nursing on her. They must be getting well fed too because I tried to feed them all just now and none will take the formula.

Now, I see her checking every head and "counting" to make sure they are all there. And when my daughter had one of the new ones in her lap, mama came over picked him up and moved him back over to the kitten pile. It was so cute.

What a sweet, wonderful mama. She's a keeper!

Last edited:
No, I'm not going to keep the babies. I am just doing foster care for the shelter. Which means I help raise the kittens until they are old enough to be adopted out and then the shelter takes them back, neuters/spays them, and brings them PetSmart (or some place similar) to adopt out.

Now mama is probably a different story. I don't really take in mamas, but I somehow imagine, that older mother cats probably don't adopted out so easily.
I'm keeping her.

Please do me a favor and find out what kind of environment these kittens will be in after they have been spayed/neutered and put up for sale. I've seen too many pet stores (that sell puppies and kittens) that don't seem to take the cleanliness, health and mental health of the animals very seriously. I'm not sure how they can get away with it since the city and state agriculutral agency are supposed to monitor and inspect these facilities. Maybe you could just check with Pet Smart every so often or whoever the Humane Society works with on selling the kittens, to ensure they are being well cared for and loved.
smile.png

And btw....kudos for all you do with fostering. I wish more people did that.

Last edited:
MoonGoddess , you are the 'sweet, wonderful mama.'!!
Thank you and kudos for being a foster mom for a shelter!
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
<that's a standing ovation!!

Oh yeah, I do.
big_smile.png
The Pet Smart here is AMAZING. The cages are a little small for my tastes, but always clean. Also the Pet Smart here has WONDERFUL staff. They are knowledgable and friendly, and very good with the animals.

I also have a clause with the shelter. If one of "my" kittens doesn't get adopted out, they call me and I adopt them myself and find homes for them.

LOL. Yeah I'm that person that all the people who turn their heads say, "Oh SOMEONE will adopt them!" Unfortunately I'm also one of the poorest people I know. Hahaha!

I wish I had more money...I'd save the world. Or at least I'd try.
wink.png

Petsmart doesn't sell the cats and kittens they have, they are just displaying them for the local humane societies. this makes the animals more visible, and encourages people to think about adopting from a shelter, rather than buying. My local humane society also does this at feed stores and other establishments. The employees of the store have nothing to do with the actual adoptions - people still have to go through the humane society and meet all the requirements. It's been a wonderful program.
To my knowledge, Petsmart only SELLS lizards, fish, birds, and rodents (no bunnies, happily, but they do donate a table every so often for the local bunny rescue league).
I applaud your concern for the cats and dogs in pet stores, however. There is a puppy mill up on the Canadian/Vermont border that is always advertising that they have puppies of every breed, all the time. Lord knows how many pet stores they supply. I get ill every time I see one of their ads. I can only imagine what it is like there.

I'm very glad to hear that you are keeping the mama cat!
smile.png
I feel the ame way about 'saving the world'. I have 29 pets now and I plan on getting another rabbit.
bun.gif
I would not be able to have so many pets if it wan not for my dad. He makes alot but he is gone alot. Well without him and his money, my pet would not be here today at least not all of them.

I'm always amazed that these places are allowed to remain open. With so many animals in shelters I just can't believe that breeding for sales is even still legal!
I look at the government in awe sometimes. They can make laws that disallow people to use certain words on tv, and yet they will let some of the most amazing horrors happen behind closed doors.

Oh how well do I know about puppy mills and backyard breeders. My Zoey who is a Newfoundland was bought in an Amish Community in Iowa (who I found out later was a puppy mill). My husband and I were both at work when my in-laws took our kids with them to buy 2 dogs. It's that "buy and demand" theory going on. One hand I was glad we were able to get Dutchess and Zoey away from that situation, yet we bought them which just encourages that family to continue breeding and selling them. It's a no win situation because my poor baby has hip dysplagia.

I'm a certified breeder of Newfoundlands, but I whole heartedly support the Humane Society and ASPCA. We lost our lab mix last June...she was 15 years old and the best dog we ever had. The big difference with reputable breeders is for one....a good breeder never makes money at it. It's a love for the breed. Before my dogs are even considered for breeding there is a gamet full of tests that I have done to ensure that the next generation is better than the last.

I have my Newfies tested and checked for hip dysplagia, SAS, PRA & cystinuria. All my dogs are OFA'd for hips, patella's and elbows. A board certified DVM Cardiologist tests & clears my dogs for Sub Aortic Stenosis and a board certified DVM Opthamologist tests and clears them for Peripheral Retinal Atrophy. I refuse to do anything less for my dogs or any future generations.

I screen my potential families extensively. I make them go to the animal shelter before I will even consider them as an adoptive family for one of my future Newfies. There are too many homeless animals that need homes out there. I pre-sell my Newfie puppies before I even breed the parents to ensure that they will have a forever home. I would rather have to give back a deposit and or refund than to find my blood, sweat and tears at a local shelter or running the streets.

I'm glad to see so many people as concerned as I am and applaud anyone who helps animals in any capacity.

Back
Top Bottom