Cute lil' Chicken-Faced Turkles (turtles)~ pics~

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Funky Feathers, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    These adorable Diamondback Terrapins native to my area are so cute! They look like they have chicken faces. I rescued 2 of them from getting hit by cars, took them home, put some shell polish (VitaShell) on them, took some pics and released them on our farm where they can safely lay their eggs. Are they cute or what? (Even when they are ticked off, they are still cute).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I love turtles. Can't say that I see "chicken faces", but I agree, they are adorable! [​IMG]

3. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    [​IMG]

For the turtle rescue!

My wife loves turtles and has a yellow belly slider that I got for her several years ago.

4. NGT ANGL

NGT ANGL Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Locust Grove, VA
    Great pics and yay for you for rescuing them! Wow, with the pics of the deer you posted not too long ago and now the turtles, you must live in a really neat area for wildlife!!

5. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    Nice save!!!!!!

6. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    THEY HAVE MUSTACHES!! [​IMG]

7. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    They look like they have moustaches >did i speeel that rightly?<

8. Heathero617

Heathero617 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Mosheim
    Quote:>bangs head< shoulda read ahead ![​IMG]

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They are cute! They are saying "Hey, let me go! How dare you pick me up and photograph me!" [​IMG]

10. equine623

equine623 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    NE PA
    Great pics and thanks for rescuing them! With that being said, releasing them on your farm is a bad idea. First of all, turtles imprint where they hatch and will do everything in their power to get back to that area, even if it means crossing a highway. Also, there has been a lot of turtles dying in the wild from some at this time unknown bacterial infections. Taking a turtle from one area and releasing it into another could mean cross contamination and can wipe out an entire population of other local turtles. Also, diamondback terrapins are brackish water turtles, they need both salty and fresh water, does your farm provide that?

Not trying to sound mean - just hoping to educate [​IMG] Turtles are in a lot of trouble in the wild, so anything people can do to help is great. Just has to be in the best interest of the turtles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by