Cute little bird made a nest in my coop!!And they were born today!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickfillhay, Apr 14, 2008.

1. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    six little eggs inside the window jam. How cute. Tonight I was late putting the girls in their coop and the chicks in the brooder and I changed a lightbulb that had burned out. BUT as I was about to turn the light off and leave I looked at the nest to say hi to momma as I often do. She has gotten quite used to me and doesn't abandon the nest when I'm there anymore.
    Anyway, At first I thought I was looking at her beak. But I heard sounds so I then focused a little closer without getting too close and noticed BABIES! Six wide open mouths all waiting to be fed. I looked around and there was momma looking for little buggies in the coop. So I sat down and watched for about an hour as she wandered around the floor walking around me and the coop picking up little cockaroaches!
    Sometimes holding 3 at a time. How cute and then she fed them and went out for more. All while I was sitting there. I dare not touch the nest or get too close to it for fear she will abandon it. But I shows her the respect and she gives it back by allowing me to enjoy this little bit of heaven!

2. Cheep Mama

Cheep Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Michigan
    Very cool!!!

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Where's the pictures?? LOL

We haven't had a bird's nest in the barn for a long time now, but I used to love watching when the babies were born.

4. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    Pictures to come!!!It takes some time because of my slo mo computer! [​IMG]
    I'll take some pix as soon as the light gets better!!!

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, what fun!
    I had a nest above my shed door last summer, and I had to take two days off from work when the babies were learning to fly so I could keep my killer cat away. I was a basketcase at the thought of her killing one after I watched them grow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by