Cute little black chick - What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FarmrGirl, Dec 21, 2010.

1. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Hi there!

I received a free rare chicken with my order of Jumbo Cornish-X from McMurray Hatchery last month. I haven't yet identified what the breed is. The hatch date was October 3rd so she's about 8 weeks old and still smallish - maybe a bantam but could be a slow grower.

Really friendly little bird too... she followed me around the first day I let her out to free range with the the layers and hopped up on my boot cooing the whole time. I picked her up and warmed up her cold little feet and she seemed pretty content to snuggle up. None of my other chickens were ever that trusting at that age. I'm hoping it's a girl because it's very sweet and I want to keep it.

She's also very non-confrontational so she quickly fit in with the other chickens and my 4 little cockerels just ignore her so I think she's female but don't know for sure (btw: if you're looking for fancy cockerels I'm looking for new homes for these little lovelies).

She stands very upright and looks like she'll be on the lean side - sort of "gamebird" looking. She has hard, tight feathers, a rose comb (so far), a black & yellow beak and yellow legs. One of the more interesting things is her constant coo. It's not peeping exactly, more like quiet trilling. When I go to lock up the henhouse at night I know she's made it in because I can hear her cooing inside.

[​IMG]
    Yes, I'm sweet but what breed am I?

Thanks!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Ummmm, sorry to burst your bubble, but you have a boy there. Not sure on breed though, sorry.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Are you sure that's a cockerel? Looks pullet-ish to me...[​IMG]

4. peacockfarmer1

peacockfarmer1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    might be a hen or a rooster wait a week or two for move comb development
    could be a jersey giant or just a black mutt

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    Sorry but it is more than likely a roo. When Mcmurry hatchery feels there needs to be more in a box to keep them warm they thro in a boy. It is like idea hatchery you can order less than 25 but they thro in boys to keep them warm.

Sorry but It's what most hatchery's do.

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Normally they're boys, but just like you can get unlucky with sexed pullets, you can get lucky with sexed cockerels. It's happened before!

7. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    usually the "rare breed chick" is just some random cross breed or an unwanted cockeral....in my experience anyway.

8. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I would expect to see a little more comb on a two month old roo which makes me lean toward a pullet. You never know though, he/she could still go either way!!! I wonder if the leg color will darken up, sometimes chicks legs will change color just like their feathers. If so, maybe a jersey giant or austrolorp? Very cute though!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:x2

Looks like a mutt or something. . . Not sure on gender though.

10. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I don't automatically assume the extra is a cockerel because I did get a red sex link pullet in a batch last year, but they usually are.
    Yes, the stance and the fearless attitude say cockerel. And if it has a rosecomb, that is a pretty good sized comb for an 8-week old chick.
    Sorry.
    As for breed, I couldn't tell you. It doesn't seem to fit any that MM has on their list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by