1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cute/odd behavior of call drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chooniecat, Jan 11, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I recieved a call drake recently(only have 1 other duck-a W H female) and he was running with the chickens begging for food and tilted his head then jumped at one of the hens tail feathers.She set him straight. LOOKED cute but I wonder if it was mating behavior or what?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Sounds like aggression to me. I had a mean drake who would do that to other new birds.

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Only noticed such behavior this evening so will keep an eye on him. Fortunately he's tiny and the hens can take care of themselves.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I knew a wild mallard who used to jump on a Muscovy's back when the Muscovy was getting fed. It's kinda like a was jelaous and wanted to be fed first. It was kinda cute, but that Muscovy could have really hurt him if he wanted to. Fortunately, the little mallard was mostly ignored or as soon as the Muscovy turned his head toward him, he moved away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by