1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cute pic

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsewishr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    This is my little dog, Brodie, with one of my new chicks. He's soooo fascinated with them. But I'm not sure of his motivation. When my other dog, Zeus, tries to come near the chicks, Brodie snarls at him (something he never does. I'm not sure if he's protecting the babies, or saying "Stay AWAY from my dinner." I fear it's the latter :eek:

[​IMG]

2. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    How cute. Lets hope Brodie is thinking stay away from my baby. But then he may just be wondering if he should have a snack now or wait a few weeks and have a whole meal.

3. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    That is so cute and thought provoking....ummmmm!

I have a black Pug dog and he loves my chickens and tries to get into their run to play he has done this and I find him just waking around.

A few times one of my flock got out and I just called my Buddy and he came running, he cornered her and put one paw on one wing and the other paw on the other wing and lay his head gently on the chickens head and held her there till I called him off.

Pugs are not hearding dogs. It was hysterical. [​IMG]

4. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    What a cute picture. If he's snarling the other dog away, he may be protecting it. Who knows what goes through their minds?

I'm not sure what my Boxers are going to think of chicks. The older one is a very Motherly guy. Very gentle with my Grandson, the younger one?, not so much. He's still in the wild puppy stage and doesn't know his own strength, or weight.

5. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    The funny thing is that my big dog would NEVER (intentionally) hurt another living thing. He's a huge softie.

6. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

What a cute picture of you puppy and your chickie.

7. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    This is how ferocious my big dog is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    OMG! Those pics are so cute!!!!! They crack me up how they are all are laying on each other, esp the one w/ the cats snuggled w/ your dog. Also cute baby chick.

9. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I hope, he is going to be a protector.. We used to have an English setter--great bird dog. I took pictures of him asleep with ten little chicks sitting on him! I can't find them picture now--but he loved the birds.. He was also a champion hunter,a great friend for our son and a wonderful family dog--inside or out...!

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Cute pictures. I love your big guy... he seems like a gentle giant! You'd be amazed at how some dogs are with chickens. I have a chocolate lab that will eat/fight/kill just about anything if he were able to, yet he WILL NOT touch the chickens. He'll lay out in the sun on the grass and the chickens peck around him (and peck things off of him)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by