Cute! Same Chicken Lays Different Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msazeeta, May 6, 2016.

1. msazeeta

msazeeta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    Concord, CA
    I have read that the same hen cannot lay different color eggs but every once in a while my australorp will lay eggs that differ from each other. They can be a brown or cream with brown speckles. The speckled one is from yesterday and the smooth one is from today. I think it's really cute that she does this. Does anyone else have a hen that lays various looking eggs?[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have read that how quickly or slowly the egg turns in the shell gland determines whether they have speckles or not. They are both still brown and of similar shape, the brown will lighten as the season progresses and the eggs get larger. Very cool looking though, I like speckled eggs.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They cannot lay a different colored shell, it's always either a white or a blue shell,
    but the brown coating applied to the shell can definitely vary from day to day,
    especially the ones prone to being speckled are often very different each day.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by