cute situation going on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by curliet, Jan 25, 2009.

1. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    in the hen house. Now, I have been under the impression that RIR don't typically go broody. And, I have no roosters here at home. But lately I've noticed that when I go out to check the feed, water and eggs in the morning, there has been one particular hen that seems to spend an awful lot of time in the nest box. When I finally do get to see what's going on, it seems like there are 3 or 4 eggs that she's sitting on.
    Well, this morning I was there delivering some goodies and fresh water, and checking for eggs, and I saw a hen jump down and there were 3 eggs in that box. I was busy for a few minutes, so didn't collect them right away. Plus, as I'm quite a Klutz it's better if I don't gather the eggs til I'm ready to go into the house, less time for me to break them. But I digress......
    After I saw those eggs, Miss Roadrunner jumped back into the nest box and settled herself carefully over them. While I was refilling the water container, Goofy climbed into that same nest, and was crowded right up against Roadrunner. Just as I looked up, Goofy gave Roadrunner a shove and literally stole 1 of the eggs and pushed it under herself. While I stood there, Goofy proceeded to steal all 3 eggs. Roadrunner gave me the stinkeye, like I had something to do with it, and then gave Goofy the stinkeye, and stuck her head down and stole 1 back. The eggs all ended back under Roadrunner, and Goofy was pushing at her when I finally realized that my feet and hands were too cold too stand there and watch any longer. Are these 2 hens trying to go broody, or do they just want to get the credit for laying those eggs??? [​IMG]

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    Definitely sounds broody to me. You should hear my silkies screech with outrage and steal eggs back and forth... oy!!

Julie [​IMG]

3. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Silly chooks - Like "toddler rules of possession".... what's yours is really mine....

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Eventually both hen will set on the same nest. They will continue to steal each others eggs. My RIR Bantams are like this. It is harder than heck to get them over the broodiness.

5. curliet

curliet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    west Michigan
    I just went back out to the coop. It's been almost 2 hours since I was there last. I was afraid that if those hens got off the eggs for too long they would freeze, as it's about 9 degrees here. Goofy was off the nest but Roadrunner was still setting there. So I excused myself and reached under her. She had 5 eggs there, all nice and warm. And in the nest next to her was Fatty, and she looked really comfortable. Like she might want to stay there for a while longer. So, again, "excuse me, ma'am" and reached under. There were 3 eggs there. I'm thinking that it's too cold and too early here right now, but in about a month I'm wondering if I go over and collect some eggs from the hens that are there with our rooster, maybe I can persuade these girls to set on them and we can do the chickie thing. Rick wants to incubate some, but I really want to do some the natural "old fashioned" way LOL.
    BTW, that's 8 eggs from the 9 hens that we have, and it's cold and gray and wintery weather. We must be doing something right.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Funny chooks you've got there T! I finally caught mine in the process of hiding the golf balls from me. [​IMG] No more making mama think she's losing her mind!
    Last night the neighbor came to get some eggs and I was one egg shy of 3 dozen, so I went to coop and stole one out from under a hen. Seriously ticked her off and who said chickens peck? She bit me!
    Be ready for a quick dash to the farm for some of those fertile eggs and if the girl at the house goes completely broody, stick em under her! I agree with you that the old fashioned way is best.

7. jforsness

jforsness Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Silly B's (birds) - lol [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by