cutest chicken moment yet.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PeiTheCelt, Sep 27, 2007.

1. PeiTheCelt

PeiTheCelt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    so last night I went in to check on The Collective before I went to bed, and on a whim grabbed a handful of feed, and just laid my arm down in their brood box, with the feed in my hand.

I started with about a half dozen chicks eating feed out of my hand (and trying to eat my freckles, apparently they look like bugs *grin* it's *STILL* red this morning), and ended with 4 of them curled up right next to my hand asleep. I couldn't move until a thunder clap woke them up, they were just too cute!!!

I am so absolutely in chicken love.

I have no idea how on earth I'm going to cope with culling the boys once we know who they are. I know we have to, you can't have more than a couple of boys in the flock unless it's huge, but.. What if it's my crazy partridge baby? Or my cuddle bug white and grey one? Or Bandit? (the only named chick so far, he's got a cute mask that includes his beak).

*sniffles*

I will, they are livestock at the end of the day, and I know that, but.. They're AWFUL cute and sweet.

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    How many did you finally have hatch, Pei. Sounds like you had quite a few, I think 14 was the last I read?
    They sound adorable, keep us updated. [​IMG]
    Jill

3. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    Final tally was sixteen that survived, twenty-three eggs, 1 wasn't fertile, 3 never pipped, 1 drowned before we got the marbles in the water, and 2 were born with issues (one had a deformed head/neck and didn't make it and the other had some issues with his abdomen and my husband put him down when after more than 24 hours out he was shaking and not breathing well. [​IMG]).

But 16 out of 23 on our first hatch, I'm okay with those numbers. [​IMG]

4. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Yea thats fantastic. You did well, and it sounds like you have a small armada there. [​IMG] I like your word
    "The Collective". [​IMG]

5. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    "This is the Chick Collective, prepare to be assimilated. You will adapt to service our cuteness. Resistance is futile."

(okay so slightly modified from the original, but.. [​IMG] They are our little Borg chickies (if you're not a Trekkie, it's a reference to 'The Borg' - a cyborg race from Star Trek the Next Generation that take biological and technological differences between populations and just add them to their own existence, creating a hive like "one mind" and striving for the "perfect" balance of biology and technology. They're REALLY creepy, the chicks are the cute version of the same thing. [​IMG]).

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    No problem, I am a Trekkie, or used to be before I got married and my dh hates all that "stupid fantasy stuff". grrrr [​IMG]

7. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    ..Bwah.. ? how can a trekkie marry a non-sci-fi fan?

I mean, that's.. just.. It's just unnatural!

[​IMG] hehehe

I figure most people probably have some frame of reference for the whole Borg/Collective thing, but.. Ya' never know. [​IMG]

8. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    It is unnatural. But he does like fishing and gardening. A city guy tho, didnt realize THAT til we were married. [​IMG]
    Maybe I will "change" him. Yea when we are... [​IMG]

lol
    Jill

9. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Yeah... I have several startrek plates in my stuff some where... lol...

Hubby isn't into that AT ALL.... bleah.

Arklady

10. PeiTheCelt

Sep 3, 2007
    Central NY
    :mad: hey, there is always hope for city people!

Look at me, I learned better! [​IMG] And I grew up in the shadow of NYC, spending my weekends on Broadway, window shopping and wandering the museums, so there is hope for him. [​IMG]

hehe

Man, I can't even imagine being married to a non-geek.. Who would understand my need to dress up like my favorite characters for the opening of sci fi flicks? Who else could I make geek AD&D references to? And get excited about the next big blow 'em up space flick with no plot (but it's PRETTY!)

[​IMG] hehe

(yeah, I'm a sci fi and fantasy gamer chick whose moment of greatest pride was when her 3 year old started to play katamari damacy on the PS2, who lives in the boondocks, does most of her own baking (haven't perfected english muffins yet, still have to buy those), keeps chickens for eggs and meat and wants sheep for more meat, as well as milk, cheese and wool. I am a study in confusion [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by