cutest little chickens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fitzpej, Dec 22, 2014.

1. fitzpej

fitzpej New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    These 3 little bantams followed me around a petting farm, they are adorable and loved cuddles, i really want to get some. What breed are they? guessing pekins?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Hi there! We'd love to help you ID your mystery birds. Did you have any pictures in your post? If so, they aren't showing up.

3. fitzpej

fitzpej New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    i think i fixed it, is it showing u now?

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, you are correct they are pekins, otherwise known as cochins. :) They look like very sweet little girls and cochins would be a great choice for a pet.

Ooh, I noticed your avatar, I'm guessing you have ferrets. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are either Pekin or Cochin bantams. Which they are is a matter of definition as the UK poultry governing bodies claim that Pekins and Cochins are two distinct breeds, but the US poultry governing bodies do not recognize the distinction. Either way they are gorgeous birds.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

In the US we call them bantam Cochins. They're great little pet birds, usually pretty docile and friendly. Not stellar layers but good mommas. My only issue is the feathers on the feet---I live in Mud Central, so can't have as many feather footed breeds as I'd like. I keep a few to use as broodies, here's one who went broody in the feeder (no, I didn't give her eggs there!)

[​IMG]

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG] Thats adorable!
    I agree, Pekins or Cochins, are wonderful little birds. They make great pets and brooders.
    Here's my bantam Cochin, Dottie, doing what she does best. She didn't start in the feeder, but under it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

10. fitzpej

fitzpej New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    Hi thanks to all for replying, I'm in Australia so its not muddy :) I haven't heard of cochins, but i have heard of pekins in Australia. Im guessing that is similar with the UK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by