cuts on legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamabigbird, Sep 16, 2011.

1. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Mocha Spice Girl, my 5 month old Bovan brown, has some cuts on her lower legs that aren't bleeding but the one leg has some of the scales loose and almost fallen off.
    I just noticed them yesterday and so far no sign of pecking or swelling/infection.
    I have Bactine spray I could put on or should I leave it be for now?
    Do leg scales regrow or would it just scar over?
    Otherwise she seems fine, no limping.
    I think she was playing in the scrap metal pile.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    If you're sure that they're cuts (and not scaly leg mites which is crusty and will lift the scales), then I would just dab some iodine on them. I do think the scales regrow.

3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Absolutely they are cuts. They are sideways slashed and exactly opposite each other on both legs.
    One cut on each leg as if she tried to fly past something sharp and just caught her ankles.
    Anyway they look much better now. Dried up and no sign of infection.

Thanks from a nervous chicken mama.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The healing ability of chickens amazes me. I've see pictures posted here on BYC of bird wounds so severe that I would have assumed the chicken would have had to be put down, only to read of full recovery weeks later. It's the internal issues that seem to mostly get chickens down. Glad your hen seems to be doing fine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by