Cutting back on Roosters

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AlphaRooster, Feb 17, 2016.

1. AlphaRooster

AlphaRooster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2015
    Massachusetts
    My small flock has 3 roosters in it. Thats 2 too many. All my birds are 19 weeks old and its time to go to 1 rooster. My question is how do I pick 1? Which rooster is best for the flock, for the hens? Should I keep my favorite since they were chicks? Or the biggest one, the rooster that has established himself as the Alpha? The third bird is the smallest & weakest. Would he be better for the hens? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What is their attitude towards people? Which one treats the hens the best?

3. AlphaRooster

Nov 12, 2015
    Massachusetts
    They are all very protective of the hens. And they are all aggressive towards me. The smallest one is least aggressive.

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Then that would be the deciding factor.

5. AlphaRooster

Nov 12, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Alright Thanx. It will be difficult to part with my favorite.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Frankly, if they were all aggressive toward me, I'd get rid of them all. The smallest, weakest one may get stronger over time. No need to keep a mean rooster. What are your flock goals? Are you planning on hatching from your flock? If not, there really is no reason for a rooster at all. They don't really "protect" your flock. They do tend to be more alert and warn of aerial predators, but a good alpha hen will do the same thing. If you really feel the need for a rooster, I'd suggest looking around to see if you can find one that's not going to attack you. They're out there.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If they're aggressive to you at 19 weeks, get rid of all of them. Why would you keep any animal that's aggressive to you? Either that or try some serious re-training and see who comes around.

8. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    If this is your first year with chickens, I too vote, get rid of them all. I think roosters take a little experience. IMHO you tend to get aggressive roosters when they are raised with flock mates. If you have young kids, don't have roosters.

Roosters are a crap shoot, some are great, some are terrible, and some are dangerous.

I vote, cull them all. Then you have room to get more hens!

Mrs K

9. AlphaRooster

Nov 12, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I do want to keep a rooster. I want to keep 1 for the time being to see if he improves without the competition of the other 2 roosters. If not than I will get rid of him too.

10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Woburn allows roosters? Anyway, try out one if you want, but if he continues to be a butt head then it's the end of the line. Come summertime there will be a surplus of young cockerels available.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by